shore spinning in Spain

Shore angling - everything welcome! The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals and we accept no responsibility or liability.

Moderator: donal domeney

shore spinning in Spain

Postby kieran » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:21 pm

Have the holiday booked... to the wrong place by the looks of things! http://solorobalizas.blogspot.ie/
kieran
Site Admin/Owner

Have thanks: 445 times
Blog: View Blog (3)

Re: shore spinning in Spain

Postby Budner » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:22 pm

I've been following this site for a while, looks like the north of Spain is a brilliant spot for the Bass.the Spanish for Bass is 'Lubina' try it on UTUBE , there are plenty to choose from. Theres plenty of videos of 'Lubina' in the Mediterranean as well, What part are you off to?
Budner
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 10 times

Postby kieran » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:54 pm

Budner wrote:What part are you off to?

Estartit on the Costa Brava. Just found out that the mouth of the Ter (1 klick away) is a famed site for mullet and leerfish that come in to prey on them! :mrgreen:
Had visions of scratching for small interesting looking things on the rocks but there looks like there some good rock marks only 1 klick away from the town to the east.
Going in late June so it shouldn't be too hot...
kieran
Site Admin/Owner

Postby keith » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:43 am

I was in Estartit 2 years ago and had fantastic fishing managed loads of bream mullet and other species, there is a small shop that sells bait in the middle of the town coreano and Americano worms are the best bait. No idea about spinning though not my thing
keith
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 107 times

Postby shortcircuit » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:13 am

Leerfish are a fantastic species to target with lures. I caught a couple in Sicily this year and they are terrific fighters zipping left and right at a great speed.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
shortcircuit
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 240 times

Postby kieran » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:32 am

I've look at the Navionics map

There's fairly deep water at the end of the Passey El Montoig behind the harbour, and about 1 klick up the mountain track, there is what looks like an amazing mark called the Punta de las Salines with a sheer drop off to 20 + metres. I'm going to avoid the harbour rocks unless someone tells me otherwise.

The other thing I see if that they do sport fishing from boats in the winter.

Thanks for the tip on the shop Keith. Posting a question about telescopic rods now, so I can hide it in the carry on. Can not take line or lures and we don't use checked luggage (lost a nice travel rod from my checked bag years ago anyhow).
kieran
Site Admin/Owner

Postby Marco » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:43 pm

If I am not mistaken you will need a license. It's a bit of a pain in the ... to get one, certainly not straight forward. Cost you about € 50.00
SAI SAC
FISH - an animal that grows the fastest between the time it’s caught and the time the fisherman describes it to his friends.
Marco
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 56 times

Postby kieran » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:32 pm

Guy just gave me a simple brilliant tip for getting your purpose built rigs to your holiday destination.
For Spain I need to use light flouro line and very small hooks (8s - 12s) and long snoods (1 metre recommended) for the beaches, more standard stuff for the rocks.
We never use checked luggage any more and you cant bring line much less hooks with you in carry on baggage, unless you want to be arrested.

The solution: -
Make them, bag them, put them in a jiffy bag.
Post them to the hotel / campsite etc. and just ask them to hold them for you. OMG so SIMPLE!
Any you don't lose, just post them back!
kieran
Site Admin/Owner

Postby john86 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:50 pm

Be careful bringin reels in your carry on they can ask you to remove the line.
john86
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 37 times

Postby kieran » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:51 pm

Marco wrote:If I am not mistaken you will need a license. It's a bit of a pain in the ... to get one, certainly not straight forward. Cost you about € 50.00

https://aplicacions.agricultura.gencat.cat/mediamb_sgll_public/AppJava/llicencies/gestioLlicenciesTitular.do?reqCode=prepareLocale

do it online
€9.90 for a 15 day licence
kieran
Site Admin/Owner

Postby Budner » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:07 pm

Spinning can be hard going and can be a bit hit or miss on the Costa Brava all the way along the med especially in the heat of the day and June is very hot there so most people fish the evening into the night with bait but I prefer spinning myself. Let us know how you get on.
Budner
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 10 times

Postby Marco » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:19 pm

Is that not a hunting license? or does it cover everything.

Last summer I just got lost in the Spanish paperwork jungle and had to give up on it, easier to hop on a charter. I know rules and regulations are different per region so handy to know for future reference.
SAI SAC
FISH - an animal that grows the fastest between the time it’s caught and the time the fisherman describes it to his friends.
Marco
SAI Hammerhead

Postby kieran » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:11 am

There are three licences in spain - hunting, fishing from the shore and fishing from a boat. You pick the one you want and try Google Translate on the website name...
kieran
Site Admin/Owner

Postby Marco » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:23 pm

Great tks. I will try that the next time I am over.
SAI SAC
Marco
SAI Hammerhead

Postby kieran » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:18 am

the parc naturel around the illes medes has been extended.
Basically all the shoreline north of estartit up to escala is now off limited, bar a single headland.

See here: http://territori.scot.cat/cat/img2/2009 ... _copia.jpg
kieran
Site Admin/Owner

Postby Steve » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:58 pm

You'll enjoy the Costa Brava Kieran, it's a great place. A family member has a place over there (about 20K south of L'estardit) so we usually head over for a week every year.

If I have one piece of non-fishing advice to give you, its that you really have to have a car if you want to see the region. There are tonnes of places worth visiting either side of L'estardit but public transport is non-existant really. So book a car (assume you are flying to Girona - don't go with a car based at the airport - the likes of Solmar are only a 3 minute walk away and are much cheaper).

From a fishing standpoint, its only worth bait fishing at night. You can spin during the day but scale everything down - fish as shown on that blog are rare, the average size is much, much smaller.

Youre supposed to have a licence, but would be unlucky if caught. Just stay away from the main marina's etc and you would be fine. The rocks to the right of the beach in Sa Riera (near Begur) is a good spot to try by the way. Follow the walk way around until you are at the mouth of the inlet and you can spin here into deeper water. I've seen lots of bass around here when snorkling, but again we are talking about 1lb fish rather than 10lbers!
Steve
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 116 times

Postby kieran » Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:29 pm

Cheers Steve

Always book a car on holidays - usually use www.doyouspain.com - find them very reasonable. Third time back to L'estartit, have to say love the whole area.

The licence only costs 9 euro and I can buy it online now, with a photo of my passport, so I'll do that to keep it proper.

Interesting you mention Sa Riera, I was looking at it and Sa Tuna as possible marks - the latter looks very fishy and up to 30 metres depth off the rocks on the outside... have you done any fishing there? Thanks for the advice on the small spinning - might try some of the LRF fishing as a kind of species hunt / photo gallery bit of fun.

With three teenagers, its hard to get time to go night fishing..
kieran
Site Admin/Owner

Postby Steve » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:41 pm

I've only ever messed around really Kieran, a few 1hour sessions here and there with maddies for bait. We stay between Pals beach and Sa Riera so I've done a fair bit of snorkelling around Sa Riera. I've seen plenty of bass, but mainly shoals of small fish. There are umpteen bream species there too.

If you park up in Sa Riera, head down to the beach, then head right, following the walkway through a smaller secluded beach and up and over the hill. You can either fish back into Sa Riera here or continue on the path and fish into the outer seaward side. Nice place to fish, plus the wife and kids can happily be left on the beach while you head off for a while! Its deep water here so you never know what you might encounter if you were to try, for example, some casting jigs here.
Steve
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby kieran » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:47 pm

cheers Steve

It looks good - did the bream go to any size - they're very tasty! ;0)
kieran
Site Admin/Owner

Postby Steve » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:50 am

I caught tiddlers Kieran, a few ounces at best!

Did have a memorable moment snorkeling (maybe 20 feet from shore) where I was surrounded by thousands of sandeel and out of nowhere dozens of school bass came in to pick them off. They completely ignored me and were gulping down sandeel inches from me - I could have reached out and grabbed them! So they are there! That was just off the secluded beach to the right of Sa Riera.

For this message the author Steve has received thanks:
corbyeire (Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:17 pm)
Steve
SAI Sea Dog!

Next

Return to Shore Angling Q&A / Forum