shore spinning in Spain

Shore angling - everything welcome! The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals and we accept no responsibility or liability.

Moderator: donal domeney

Re: shore spinning in Spain

Postby kieran » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:58 pm

Steve and co...

Reigniting this thread as I am heading back for two weeks, and will be trying some soft plastics off Sa Riera / Sa Tuna if I get a chance, and more likely off the rocks around the harbour. Have you been back? Any advice?

Might try some bait fishing during the day into the deeper water north past the national park. Seen some pics from earlier this year of kilo plus Sargos...
kieran
Site Admin/Owner

Have thanks: 445 times
Blog: View Blog (3)

Re: shore spinning in Spain - licence

Postby kieran » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:34 pm

Hi all

Its a bit messy as they still use the Spanish system for addresses on their website but most of it is now in English - put in a 1 in each box, gets you past it.
You don't need a photo of your passport any more, just the ID number. It costs just € 9.90 for 15 days to keep you legal.

On a personal note, they have now extended the nature reserve up and down the coast from L'Escala almost to Sa Riera, so the only space for legal fishing is the rocks on the outside of the harbour wall in L'Estartit itself. A bit frustrating personally but clearly a positive step forward for the ecosystem...

Cheers
kieran
Site Admin/Owner

Postby Steve » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:46 am

Sorry Kieran, afraid I can't be of any help, it's been 3 years since I was last there. Hope to get back next year.

When you say it has been extended nearly to Sa Riera, does that not mean that you can fish in Sa Riera? The rocks on the right hand side of the bay there (as you face the sea - just follow the path around) are prime fishing territory. Head out and right so that you are fishing outside of the bay itself on the open coast. There are plenty of platforms on the rocks. Just watch that it's not too rough. Failing that you can fish at the mouth of the bay.
Steve
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 116 times

Postby kieran » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:11 pm

Ok

National Park but NOT Marine Reserve has been extended but this does not preclude fishing. From Harbour to mouth of the Ter is off limits only. Sa Riera and Tuna is ok.

Never got to fish, long sad story, wont bore you with it, back with tons of brownie points so we'll resolve the lack of fishing shortly...

Chatted to a few locals fishing the external wall at Estartit and the mouth of the harbour, mostly at night with bits of prawn on small snelled mustad hooks (about size 2).
Sargos are the main species, small mouth. Get occasional gilt heads and sea bass, to no great size but... two others complained of having been broken off (light lines) by cudas and bonitos. Octopus stealing bait was the other song. When they are in, they target them with surface poppers and pick up the occasional leerfish as well.

All at dusk and into darkness. Harbour lights seem to extend this.

on the last night met two old codgers humping heavy gear and big rods down to the rocks (not concrete side) of the harbour mouth. Got chatting eventually, once I explained I was a tourist. Apparently some of the local non-native anglers have "stolen" key spots and made themselves unpopular. Turns out the boys were putting our big old baits (heads) on the bottom in the harbour mouth on wire traces looking for large rays and other species (no idea what, reckon scavenging sharks like bull huss?)

Elsewhere drove down to Cadaques (stunning but a nose bleed of a road and the mfg cyclists need shooting) and got chatting to some of the local sailors (not the imported variety) hint turn right for the cheap side of town, left is the Michelin star restaurants and boutiques. This is Cap de Creus territory and they do go out about 1-5 klicks and live biat fish with whole bonitos! Seems a terrible waste... My Spanish missed the species but shark was in there. One of them pulled out some photos on his phone, and one was of what I can only describe as a monster Dentex. Stunning. Think another thing was a Cobia? Big big tuna in there as well, Yellow tailed? Serious fishing. It seems there are very distinct seasons and annual migrations that are key to this. Tuna seemed to be a summer thing. April was a key month as well. Hope this helps...

Hope this whets the appetite...
kieran
Site Admin/Owner

Previous

Return to Shore Angling Q&A / Forum