Morriscastle Co. Wexford

Fri Apr 02, 2004 2:36 pm

Hi all,

Just got a summer place down in Kilmuckridge in Co. Wexford. The mobile we have is just beside Morriscastle beach and I was wondering if anyone has fished it before. I fished there many times when I was a kid with only dogfish to show for my troubles. If anyone has fished the beach before could you tell me how you got on, best tides etc.

I would imagine the usual south east baits of crab, squid and mackeral will cover most situations, and I believe it is a must to fish this beach at night. Any info much appreciated.

maurice castle

Fri Apr 02, 2004 3:27 pm

Hi 'alby'

i used to live near the area and fished it quite often as a young lad. I bring down my own young fella during the summer. you are right about fishing at night - i think it is the only time due the amount of traffic it gets during the summer.

I have always fished on a flooding tide although there is not any great difference in high and low tide hights. I normaly walk north from the beach entrance for a few hundred yards but i have often fished right under the beach entrance when i was not so inclined to walk up the beach.

Bass, flounder, smooth hound, dogfish and a small ray are what i have pulled out of there in recent summer outings. cocktails of peeler, lugs and mackerel are what i normally use. i fish two rods, belting one out as far as i can and fishing the other at shorter distance. Hope this helps, perhaps i will bump into you there during the summer.

m.b3

Fri Apr 02, 2004 6:25 pm

Alby, i will be fishing this area next weekend.......either Morriscastle or nearby beaches, depending on conditions. i will let u know how i get on. good fish are taken from this area on night tides in summer. i am probably a little early but there should be plenty of flatties and a bass or two.

north wexford.

Sat Apr 03, 2004 8:53 pm

m.b3

i will be travelling down that area over the easter myself to do a spot of fishing with my little fella. i was thinking i might try the stretch between courtown and pollshone - what 'nearby beaches' were you considering if you don't fish maurice-castle

Sun Apr 04, 2004 4:36 pm

how are u Mick. i don't know as of yet. i am being 'brought' down by a mate so it's going to be up to him! most of the beaches here will fish for flounders at this time of year i'm sure. you may even get some of the larger 'spent' fish returning from spawning. they are particularly easy to catch because the hungry! check out the marks on the site map for more info. i found lugworm fished better than the rag the last time i was down, but bring rag because the bass seem to respond better to them. wexford is still new territory to me, but the fishing can be good. however it may be a little early in the year to target the bigger species like ray, smoothhound, etc.

Mon Apr 05, 2004 4:23 pm

I'll be trying to get down this weekend. Hopefully see you on the beach guys. Will let you know for definite by the end of the week.