Worst days fishing

Shore angling - everything welcome! The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals and we accept no responsibility or liability.

Moderator: donal domeney

Worst days fishing

Postby ardinn » Tue May 05, 2015 12:54 pm

Following on from my report on the other night I was thinking to myself "some guys must have had pretty bad days out on the rocks and beaches" and probably those stories are hilarious!

So come on men, share the stories of days when a pint would have been a far far better idea.
ardinn
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 110 times

Re: Worst days fishing

Postby Rob Millard » Tue May 05, 2015 4:23 pm

More than I care to remember, and none that I'd care to recount! I do hate it when you do lots of prep work, gather all the required gear & bait, travel for a couple of hours to your chosen mark, only to discover its unfishable due to weed.
Species 2019: Common Skate, Pollack, Whiting, Coalfish, Cod, Cuckoo Wrasse, Bull Huss, Lsd, Porbeagle Shark, Mackerel, Grey Gurnard, Thornback Ray, Plaice, Turbot, Ballan Wrasse, Dab, Smoothound, herring, haddock, Blonde Ray, Tope, bass

Species 2018 : Porbeagle Shark, Spurdog, Lsd, Coalfish, Pollack, Ling, Mackerel, Haddock, Red Gurnard, Turbot, Dab, Thornback ray, Homelyn Ray, John Dory, Pouting, Ballan Wrasse, Smoothound, Tope, Bass, Bull Huss, Weaver, Painted Ray, Bluefin Tuna

Species 2017 : Cod, Coalfish, Whiting, Poor Cod, Pollack, Bull Huss, Ling, Pouting, Bass, Flounder, Painted Ray, Lsd, Tope, Ballan Wrasse, Mackerel, Herring, Launce, Haddock, Thornback Ray, Conger, Plaice, Turbot, Grey Gurnard, Red Gurnard, Cuckoo Ray, Tub Gurnard, Dab, Smoothound, black goby, Scad, Cuckoo Wrasse, Megrim

Species 2016 : (32)

Species 2015 : (30)

Species 2014 : (29)

Species 2013 : (34)
Rob Millard
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 223 times
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Mozza » Tue May 05, 2015 6:22 pm

Drove from Dublin to Wexford in search of some Bass a few years back, left the house at 5am and just as I was about to park the car with the conditions perfect for Bass my phone rang, it was my wife asking me why was there a reel on the hall table. Drove home like an Anti Christ, couldn't believe in my haste to rush out the door I had left my reel behind me, went out that afternoon for a belly full of beer to forget my stupid mistake.

For this message the author Mozza has received thanks:
MAC (Wed May 06, 2015 1:17 pm)
Mozza
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 49 times

Postby cod chaser » Wed May 06, 2015 12:54 pm

Good one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cod chaser
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 93 times

Postby MAC » Wed May 06, 2015 1:18 pm

Mozza wrote:Drove from Dublin to Wexford in search of some Bass a few years back, left the house at 5am and just as I was about to park the car with the conditions perfect for Bass my phone rang, it was my wife asking me why was there a reel on the hall table. Drove home like an Anti Christ, couldn't believe in my haste to rush out the door I had left my reel behind me, went out that afternoon for a belly full of beer to forget my stupid mistake.

Have done that with the bait a few times!! :twisted: :twisted: Plenty of Beer needed :wink:
><º> ><º>

><º>

For this message the author MAC has received thanks:
Grumpy Angler (Thu May 07, 2015 9:13 pm)
MAC
SAC Treasurer

Have thanks: 178 times

Postby Grumpy Angler » Thu May 07, 2015 9:16 pm

Arrived at the end of poolbeg pier only to find i'd forgotten my bait...and once in killiney beach too,funny now not so much then.
Blankety-Blank!

would like to catch in 2014: cod,seabass,plaice,smoothound

For this message the author Grumpy Angler has received thanks:
chuckaroo (Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:40 pm)
Grumpy Angler
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 36 times

Postby Grumpy Angler » Fri May 08, 2015 12:04 am

I also had a crow steal the Mac's I had for bait,and then take my sandwiches......the dirty sod lives on killiney beach.beside the tea rooms...
Blankety-Blank!

would like to catch in 2014: cod,seabass,plaice,smoothound

For this message the author Grumpy Angler has received thanks:
jimmymcnulty (Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:01 pm)
Grumpy Angler
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 36 times

Postby shortcircuit » Fri May 08, 2015 9:13 am

Was down fishing a beach in Cork on a dropping tide when on comes a few "ladies of a certain class" e.g posh bitches in all their finery on horses.

Instead of trotting behind me where there was oceans of room, they send the horses straight in front of my tripod causing an unmerciful tangle.

They then accused me of trying to snare their horses! May as well have said "How dare you fish here, peasant!"
shortcircuit
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 240 times

Postby Buddner » Fri May 08, 2015 10:30 am

bla, Went out plugging for bass a few years back. Got fed up with the lure i was using so went to change the lure only to find that the box of lures i had (about 12 lures all 15 euro or more each) had fallen down between the rocks and i couldn't find them. Totally drunk off so had to stick with the same lure for the next few hours. So got to the stage where you say "Right this is the last cast" so i gave the cast a bit more of a swing to get the lure out just that bit further and..............snap.............. braid snapped, it got caught around the eye of the rod, the poxy lure nearly hit the Welsh coast it went that far. Totally drunk of.................................Got back to the car to find it had been broken into :x :x :shock: .....................E1500 worth of damage. To say i was drunk off was an understatement. Got the car sorted threw the insurance. Spent a fortune on new lures. It doesn't end there, went out plugging with me new lures a few weeks later. Got back to the car, no problems this time. Got in a drove home. A week went by and went out to check the gear before heading off again. ................................" WHERE are mi LURES" :shock: .......................................................................................................................

I had left them on the roof of the car and drove home.............................................gone. Jaysus lads, i nearly gave up fishing .
Last edited by Buddner on Fri May 08, 2015 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

For this message the author Buddner has received thanks: 2
corbyeire (Sat May 09, 2015 8:44 pm), Grumpy Angler (Fri May 08, 2015 11:02 am)
Buddner
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 12 times

Postby shortcircuit » Fri May 08, 2015 11:12 am

Mother of God that's some disaster!
shortcircuit
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 240 times

Postby Steve » Fri May 08, 2015 11:37 am

The day I reeled in a bag of dead cats.....the smell was unholy......
Steve
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 116 times

Postby ardinn » Fri May 08, 2015 1:56 pm

Bag of dead cats!!!

Did you bait em up??

For this message the author ardinn has received thanks:
Gonzo (Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:35 pm)
ardinn
SAI Hammerhead

Postby jhcabs » Fri May 08, 2015 2:34 pm

First time ever i fished in Bannow and it was at night. We had arrived at low tide and the water was very calm. There was a lot of planning that went into this trip and i had travelled down from Dublin straight after work. We fished it hard for a few hours but not a single bite. I decided to cast out as far as i could to see if that helped and when i casted i heard an unusual noise instead of a splash. We both decided to investigate and waded out. Well, it turns out the water wasn't very deep at all and after 100 yards we were back on dry land on the opposite side to the beach! After a bit more investigation we realised that we had spent 4 hours fishing in a puddle!

For this message the author jhcabs has received thanks: 6
blowin (Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:23 am), corbyeire (Sat May 09, 2015 8:46 pm), Kgarr (Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:42 pm), Rob Millard (Fri May 08, 2015 4:17 pm), SeanA101080 (Sat May 09, 2015 1:47 am), tight lines (Mon May 11, 2015 10:49 pm)
jhcabs
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 76 times

Postby ardinn » Fri May 08, 2015 4:57 pm

That got a belly laugh - ha ha!
ardinn
SAI Hammerhead

Postby MC » Fri May 08, 2015 11:04 pm

Went for a stag do and a weekend fishing in Galway, had a bite to eat on way down. First cast I couldn't put any power into it, felt weak, just fished down the side instead. First pint tasted odd but only to me, never made it to a second pint spent the rest of the weekend on the mates floor or in the bathroom, that's right bloody pit stop on way to Galway gave me food poisoning. Did manage to get home two days later, normally a 3 hour drive took 7 hours never been so sick or weak and drained of energy. Put this way I have never eaten at that fast food chain again.
MC
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 383 times

Postby finding nemo » Sat May 09, 2015 1:28 am

Pretty much cursed with transport to or from Kerry.

trip 1 - Coil went going over Conor Pass no fishing while car got repaired
trip 2 - Nearly lost the jeep in the tide on Derrymore, very lucky to find a tractor at 7am Sunday morning. 5 mins later it was gone.
trip 3 - Jeep went on fire on the motorway at Moneygal, 3 firetrucks and motorway closed.
trip 4 - Ignition went, hot wired van and drove back but exhaust fell off then at Limerick. Sounded like a we were driving a tank up the motorway.
trip 5 - Burst coolant hose at Port Laoise on the way down for a weeks fishing. Car taken to garage then back to Dublin to get another car. 14 hour trip to Kerry.

I actually think the lads are afraid to bring me fishing now.
[url]www.hotspoteventsdublin.ie[/url]

For this message the author finding nemo has received thanks: 4
chuckaroo (Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:40 pm), corbyeire (Sat May 09, 2015 8:47 pm), jhcabs (Mon May 11, 2015 10:14 am), tight lines (Mon May 11, 2015 10:52 pm)
finding nemo
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 45 times

Postby privatepile » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:59 pm

One of my 1st times fishing was at Kells beach last year. You have to cross a small stream to get there and i never realised there was a tear in my wellies. When i crossed the stream i had one waterlogged foot.

In the space of about 30 mins of my 1st cast i had lost about 8 lures.

About an hour later the heavens opened and i got drenched. When i left the house there wasnt a cloud in the sky.

I cut some mackerel strips and placed it on the hook and walked near the edge. WHen i came back some birds had made off with my mackerel.

I was annoyed with the way the day had turned out so i went to reel in the bait and head home and itaught it was stuck on a rock again. Turns out it was my 1st fish on the end of the line. A dog fish. I was in my element after that :)

For this message the author privatepile has received thanks:
chuckaroo (Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:42 pm)
privatepile
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 8 times

Postby kieran » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:08 pm

Went rock fishing a few years ago in a new car for me. Nothing much happened until I stumbled and landed awkwardly, with my elbow coming down smack bang on my big toe. All sound and no picture whilst the others drunk themselves laughing. Hobbled on and had a miserable day of it, trying effectively to cast on one foot. Lost several lures when cast went off at weird angles. Eventually gave up an got back to the car to find some w*****r had close one of the doors on the top three inches of a spinning rod. Right foot was where my elbow landed. Drove home in continuous pain whilst dropping these ungrateful baskets off at their houses. Wife complained about how late I was until I eventually peeled off the boot (much shouting) and displayed a purple big toe. Five minutes later I was in to A&E. They took one look, asked how I managed to break a big toe (apparently its quite hard to do) and bound it up, stick a needle in me, and sent me home. € 65 to replace the tip on the rod. € 65 for the A&E. € 40 for the lost lures... and it took six months for the nail to eventually fall off! Steel capped boots €40 in Aldi - best buy I have made in a LONG time!
kieran
Site Admin/Owner

Have thanks: 445 times
Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby family guy » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:18 pm

Buddner wrote:bla, Went out plugging for bass a few years back. Got fed up with the lure i was using so went to change the lure only to find that the box of lures i had (about 12 lures all 15 euro or more each) had fallen down between the rocks and i couldn't find them. Totally drunk off so had to stick with the same lure for the next few hours. So got to the stage where you say "Right this is the last cast" so i gave the cast a bit more of a swing to get the lure out just that bit further and..............snap.............. braid snapped, it got caught around the eye of the rod, the poxy lure nearly hit the Welsh coast it went that far. Totally drunk of.................................Got back to the car to find it had been broken into :x :x :shock: .....................E1500 worth of damage. To say i was drunk off was an understatement. Got the car sorted threw the insurance. Spent a fortune on new lures. It doesn't end there, went out plugging with me new lures a few weeks later. Got back to the car, no problems this time. Got in a drove home. A week went by and went out to check the gear before heading off again. ................................" WHERE are mi LURES" :shock: .......................................................................................................................

I had left them on the roof of the car and drove home.............................................gone. Jaysus lads, i nearly gave up fishing .
Christ that was a disaster of a day :shock:
family guy
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 9 times

Postby beastmaster » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:08 am

I was 16 went off fishing to Ardglass county down and was told to take my two cousins with me, the eldest of the two was 14 mouthed off to the bus driver and I had to give him a smack and this is after I took verbal abuse from another passenger because of him and his couldn't care less attitude. Just shut the hell up! dead arm punch. Ardglass I snagged a seagull reeled it in stuck my hand sideways in it's mouth and gripped its wings with my knees to unfoul it and returned it unharmed. Then I snagged a trawlers mooring rope and told my cousin to just hold the rod tight with the bale arm open while I pulled the rope up. Tide got a bit choppy the boat swayed and pulled the rope while I had my hands under the rope and mooring post so I pulled my hand away and dropped the rope. @#@#*ead cousin didn't have the bale arm open and plop went my rig into the harbour.

I went ballistic, swore at him and was ready to lay him out flat until somebody older with more sense than all of us fished my gear out with a spinner. We fished the bann once and he threw rocks at my float because he was bored then threw rocks at a water vole because he thought it was a rat. Meanwhile an angler is sitting quietly upstream getting cheesed off so I suggested we leave before I get a smack. I've smoked stuff in Donegal and had a wobbly moment off high rocks and my mate who didn't drink or smoke tried to unsnag a spinner at the waters edge while a 3foot wave didn't break until it was 6 foot and hit him. He had to cling to the rocks with his nails.

by far the worst even though it was a good fishing session was Ardglass when I was with my fiancee, she's driving I'm in my 30's got beer got my deck chair i'm happy. High tide the sea is calm and I honestly couldn't care if I caught a fish or not and some brat with severe ADHD latched onto me. called me a C word while his Bull-s+itter of a 'father' let his kid run riot. The wee fuc'ker started pelting the seals with bricks! like where the hell did the bricks come from? He told me I'd catch nothing with my set up, yep not if your throwing bricks at seals I won't. Then some other kid latched onto me, can I borrow this borrow that? what am I a surrogate angler /step dad? piss off ffs! The Irish seas small but it's a big ocean sort off so go find your own spot. No wonder I want a boat for myself.

For this message the author beastmaster has received thanks:
blowin (Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:17 am)
beastmaster
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 5 times

Next

Return to Shore Angling Q&A / Forum