Need a Reel Repaired - any advice?

Mon Feb 16, 2004 7:31 pm

I bought a lovely Abu 7000 C4 reel about 18 months ago but unfortunately a box of fish (usually a good sign) slid across the boat in rough sea and damaged the reel.

I think Abu had a Purefishing site based in England who did repairs, but I cannot find it.

Can anyone give me details of anyone who could fix it please. It was pretty expensive and I don't want to right it off.

Thanks,

Arthur

reel repairs

Tue Feb 17, 2004 9:47 am

Hi

It looks like you will have to send it to the UK.... two options so far...

1. http://www.reelvalue.co.uk/

2. Peter Coogan 00 44 0151 677 3609
Apparently he is an Adviser to Abu, and carries out repairs on behalf of Abu, i.e. carries all spares needed for the Abu 7000 series.... and an excellent selection of present and pass golden oldies spare parts with repair to these reels also. Peter is on a few weeks holidays currently.

If I hear from anyone else, I will post it here...

Reel deals

Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:13 am

http://www.the-lounge.org.uk

Theres a couple of guys on this forum who recondition,repair and sell multipliers in the UK
Hoggy and the Reel Doctor
Both have good reports about em and seem reliable
Worth dropping em a line
Kev

Tue Feb 17, 2004 12:40 pm

Thanks for the speedy help boys - I appreciate it.

Arthur

ABU 7000 C4 LD

Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:36 am

I also have one of these reels and they are the bees knees! I can not say enough good things about them. As for getting them fixed, Why not do it yourself? You can order the parts from ABU direct. Get on to ABU and ask them for a parts suppplier. Then get out your schematic and change the parts. My experience with leaving reels in for repair is that I could easily have repaired them myself. If you are worried about not being able to put it back together then start by taking a few parts off and then putting it all back together again and then just go a little bit further each time. I guaruntee you will know the reel inside out by the time you are finished. Don't let that reel die! The line breaking slip prevention is ingenious and they are one of a kind reels. The Rolls Royce of red gilling and uptide reels as well as Tope from both the shore and Boat!

Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:29 am

try Reel Doc

real name and email is

Nigel Frith reelrepairs@lycos.com

he's got over a mill parts, hope this helps

Dave

He got the parts for me

Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:22 pm

A wee post-script to this story - and a great recommendation for buying Abu!

Eventually I contacted Pure-Fishing (Abu importer / distributor?) in Crewe who advised me that they could repair it. I duly sent it over with a letter explaining how the box of fish had banged into it and broken it.

A few days later I telephoned to see if they had had a look at it. In the meantime I had checked Barton Smith in Sligo who had a new one on sale ..................... for €345!!! I was preparing myself for about £50-70 for the repair but my heart nearly sank when the guy said that my reel was "beyond economic repair".

However, he immediately shocked me by saying "don't worry, we'll have a new one in the post to you today!!!!!!!!!"

Now I hesitate a little here because it has not arrived yet, but the P.O. workers in Dublin are getting the blame for that. If this comes true - that I get a replacement for a damaged reel that was nothing to do with Abu - I have nothing but total admiration for the Abu customer service levels and will be prepared to pay premium proces for their products in the knowledge that you get looked after if anything goes wrong.

This is not the first positive experience I have from Pure Fishing. A couple of years ago I returned an Abu rod that had a quality problem - it has splintered under the load of a fairly inocuous fish! They sent me back a much better Abu Conolon rod since the rod that failed was now out of production.

Great service - well done Abu / Pure Fishing. I'd recommend them to anyone.

Incidently, I have previously recommended the Abu Conolon 12-20Lb rod coupled with the 7000C4 reel as a great combo even before this latest experience.