Glasgow Angling Centre - BEWARE

Wed Jan 21, 2004 2:49 pm

For anyone looking to buy fishing goods mail order, can I advise that you DO NOT use Glasgow Angling centre.

I have had a few nightmares with them recently. I had started using them as their postage was very cheap when sending goods to Dublin. However the last two deliveries have been a disgrace.

Here are some examples of the terrible service:

a) I ordered a pair of chest waders in size 12. I specifically stated that size 11/12 would not be good enough, and they said that was fine, they would ensure it was a 12 that I received. I received a pair of waders in size 11/12 two weeks later. And to make it worse, they were not even the ones I ordered.

b) In the same order they charged me for next day delivery - it took two weeks to reach me! I questioned this and they said they would refund me immediately. I rang again two weeks later as I had still not received a refund. I eventually received it a further two weeks later, following a third phonecall.

c)On a different order just after Xmas I requested that two rods be sent to me. I checked and both of them were in stock. I ordered an ABU Ultracast multiplier rod and an Odessa Fixed spool rod. The only rod sent was an Odessa MULTIPLIER rod, with a note saying the ABU was sold out. If it was sold out, why did they tell me they had one for me? And why would they send me an Odessa Multiplier rod when I had ordered a fixed spool rod?

There were other smaller grievences I had with them, but I won't bring them up here. I did however send a letter to them 2.5 weeks ago listing all the complaints.

I still haven't received a response to this letter, which just goes to show that they obviously don't care!

Warning!

Wed Jan 21, 2004 5:40 pm

To all members, and Steven

I need to appeal to your judgement on this and feel free to debate what can and can not be posted on this board. This is a free but not cost free site and the very last thing I need is someone threatening a law suit...

By all means complain about poor service, but bear in mind that what is said in private and what is printed in public are two very different animals. Several boards in the UK have been closed as a result of potentially libellous posting. The mere threat of a lawsuit is typically enough to get boards closed and I am not in the business of setting new legal precedents in Ireland! If the board is to survive and prosper, I think that the members will have to show a certain level of restraint, and accept that in reality there are limitations to what can be posted... :oops:

I know we should complain about poor service, but perhaps the advertising standards commission or some other UK based regulatory agency would be the most effective channel? :?

Thanks

Valid points Kieran- But?

Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:19 am

Valid points Kieran- But?
Surely the point of these boards is to share our experiences.
With this excellent site, the slant is fishing, and all that goes with that.
Travel, fishing marks, shopping etc etc.

As long as points raised are not slanderous or libellous, then we all benefit . I buy mail order as Limerick is poorly served sea tackle wise, and these companies and their performance are important to me .

Whilst I appreciate all the points you raised, I did not think any of the posters comments were offensive/libellous, rather a summary of his own personal experiences.

Kevin

Thu Jan 22, 2004 11:25 am

Didn't mean to cause any grief Kieran so I must apologise if my posting caused you any hassle. We all love the site and the last thing I would want would be to get it closed down!

However as many anglers are forced into buying mail order from the Uk owing to sky high prices in their local shops, I felt that I should share my experience with them. This particular shop charges a max of £10 p&P, so I know a lot of anglers would be keen to use them (P&P can make a big difference - I was recently quoted £30 by a Cardiff based company for a bass rod that only cost £40).

All I wanted to do was warn people that this place offered very poor service, and that I would not recommend it. I don't think there was too much harm in that? It's also interesting to note that the TSF forum has a similar thread going at the moment (I put my tuppence worth there also!), so it's not just me who dislikes this company.

However to avoid any future problems, I'll make sure that I carefully phrase any complaints! No more ranting!