Cat Rock , Howth.

Shore angling - everything welcome! The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals and we accept no responsibility or liability.

Moderator: donal domeney

Cat Rock , Howth.

Postby George » Wed Jan 14, 2004 8:55 pm

Does anyone know anything about fishing Cat Rock in Howth such as the best bait or rigs to use? Cat Rock is a large rock surrounded by water which many people jump off during the summer and is situated to the left of Ballscadden low rocks.It takes a dangerous climb to get down to.Entrance is marked by a sign reading " Dangerous cliffs No Admitence". I have heard of big pollock being caught here but only managed the odd wrasse myself.
George

Cat Rock

Postby kieran » Wed Jan 14, 2004 10:29 pm

Hi George

Never fished the Cat rock myself, always walked to the end of the road and down a track (very dangerous) to the Split or Devil's Rock, down near the Nose of Howth. Plenty of coalfish and pollack there provided you can reach over the reef and avoid the pots. Wrasse and mackerel were common in summer, especially if you cast across a shallow bay to the stacks on the far side, near the nose. Big lead and big cast required...

FWIW...

BTW, I deleted a comment on another post attributed to "george" which was not helpful even if it was funny. Things can be misinterpreted easily on a forum notwithstanding the use of smilies... :wink:

Thanks
Kieran Hanrahan

Time spent fishing is never time wasted...

2015 targets - a triggerfish, a specimen bass, a three bearded rockling to complete the set and something big and toothy from certain north Mayo deep water marks
kieran
Site Admin/Owner

Have thanks: 445 times
Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Steve O'Hanlon » Thu Jan 15, 2004 11:20 am

I've fished here a couple of times during the summer (my mate lives in the house above the swimming pool - rich bugger).

All we have caught is doggies/rockling and a weever fish (which my friend was about to pick up, before I yelled at him, he couldn't understand how something so small could be so potentially painful).

I've always ledgered here, never tried spinning or float fishing. If you are after pollack then the best way to tackle them is to spin with frozen sandeel.

It's also a good place to collect sandeel if you have a proper net. There are thousands of them to be found swimming beside the old swimming pool and calm summer evenings.
Steve O'Hanlon

Fishing Cat Rock

Postby John65 » Sat Jan 17, 2004 5:32 pm

Iv only fished there twice and you know how bad the place is all i saw caught was a Red Garuned!. So have to fish it again in the summer
John65

Red Garuned??

Postby George » Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:57 pm

What's a red garuned???? Don't you mean a red gurnard and fair play to ye if you caught one off the shore. Must try netting sandeel off here during the summer.
George

The Red Garduned

Postby John 65 » Tue Feb 10, 2004 10:01 pm

It was you who thought it was that paricular species when you fished it out and werent sure what it was me and my fellow anglers of whom you know well stood by and laughed as you unhooked you fish while holding it down with you sleave as you were not 100% sure what it was. Now do you rember that day.
John 65

Return to Shore Angling Q&A / Forum