Newbees

Sun Mar 20, 2005 9:37 pm

Was just wondering if there is anybody in the same boat as myself. Im an absolute beginner to shore/pier fishing. I purchased my rod and reel about a month and a half ago. Ive yet to throw my first cast. Just been reading up on the basics really. Most likely heading to howth at some stage, ( read about the marks there on the main page ). :?

Sun Mar 20, 2005 9:50 pm

Talk to other anglers you see when you're out. Look at what they're doing and what they are using. Ask any questions you have - most a only too happy to help. Don't expect people to give away secret marks though! :wink:

You may see anglers using very complicated rigs and stuff - my advice is to start of basic and gradually build up once you're confident and getting a bit more knowledge.

Welcome to the wonderful world of fishing!

Mon Mar 21, 2005 3:11 am

Totally agree with Irish Shamrock .
Would just add that you should ask tackle shop or , even better , other fishers , what strength of line you should use to suit your rod/reel , local marks and target species . Too thick and you'll have short but safe(ish) casts . Too thin and you'll lose fish and/or tackle on snags .
In an unknown area I personally would use 25 lb if straight down off pier with big bait , 18 lb for general purpose off rocks/beach and 10 lb for spinning . Remember to tie on a shock-leader if casting more than a few grammes when you're within a couple of hundred yards of anyone else .
( now tell me you bought fly gear !) .
You'll find that the guys/girls on this forum are really helpful too .
Good Luck . Nick

Mon Mar 21, 2005 3:45 am

Have just read the "what line to use" question under the tackle reviews forum . Check it out but unless you really know what you're doing ( which I don't ) I'd buy on price to start with .