My reel is seized up

Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:59 pm

Hello everyone,

I bought a nice brand new fairly high quality spinning reel around August 2004 so it's just over 6 months old. Unfortunately it's all seized up now as I haven't used it for a while. I've tried spraying WD-40 into all areas to no avail. The handle simply won't budge and I'm sure it would break if I forced it.

Can anybody help me please? :?:

Thu Mar 03, 2005 4:20 pm

prevention is better than cure!! but screw it, the damage is done now!! anyway, if it's a half decent reel it shouldn't pack it in so soon, unless you threw it into the sea a few times? i don't no alot about the internal workings of a reel, but it sounds like everything inside has just rusted up, or else some line has gotten tangled around the central shaft yoke!! (as i said, i haven't got a clue of the workings of reels). the best bet is bring it back to the shop where you got it, and have someone take a look at it. they can strip it, check it, and importantly put it back together properly....if its a half decent reel, then ther might be a warantee in it, so you might be able to get it replaced by the company for free. if your man in the shop reckons he can fix it himself, but a few bits in pieces in the shop and he should hopefully fix it for free!!

Thu Mar 03, 2005 4:57 pm

Just take it to bits and see where it's seized. There are no springs inside, so just note where all the bits go.

It does pay to run fresh water over your reels when you get back from fishing. If you get into fly fishing, wash your rod down too!

seized reel

Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:23 am

A final (no going back) option is to put the reel (less line) in a pot of water and heat it, but not to boiling. The plastic in most reels is ABS or similar and fairly resistant to heat, and if its a cheap reel, that is almost certainly the case. Use a cup to keep the reel off the metal bottom and sides.

If you use fresh water (distilled is best) and keep it on a low heat, the salt crystals will dissolve and by then draining the reel (use a tongs) and using WD40 you might get some freedom. If it is sand rather than salt, your not going to fix it this way. If your reel melts, you never read this here! :?

Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:43 pm

You may as well open it, whats the worst that can happen?? You will probably find that the bearings have seized. If thats all you may be able to get them replaced. Put it down to a lesson learnt. Reels no matter how good have to be maintained especially if not being used regularly.

Good luck and would love to hear how you get on.

Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:34 pm

It sounds more like something's jammed than completely seized. Take it to bits, surely the handle will come off(?) give it a good going over with more WD40 and if all else fails, show it to the missus with a sad look on your face and get her to buy you a new one!

Seagull, Idpearl, Frodobaggins & the rest

Sat Mar 05, 2005 8:10 pm

Hello people,

Many thanks for all your replies. I will try all your solutions (if that's possible).

Cheers,
John D

Mon Mar 07, 2005 12:36 pm

John,

This happened me but it wasn't from lack of use. A spinning reel which I had suddenly jammed. I took it apart, (not too difficult with a fixed spool), and found that the main shaft which pushes the spool in and out, had jammed inside the spindle which rotates the bail arm section, basically this spins round while the main shaft passes up and down through it. Anyway the cause of the jamb was the D washer/cog which is used for anti reverse, the D washer which is steel fits around the spindle if the bail arm section which is brass and has a mating flat side. The D washer/cog had gradually rotated and bitten into the spindle enough to kink the inside where the shaft fits through so that it gripped the shaft siezing the reel.
I managed to get it working again by pulling the spindle off the shaft (took some pulling) and I used a needle file to file off the kink inside the spindle, The reel is about 20 years old so there was no point in trying to get a new spindle. Anyway it works now and I use it as a spare for the boat for visitors, I didn't put the D washer back on though. I reckon the damage was caused by using the rod for pulling out of snags with the anti reverse on (I don't do this any more, use a cloth or stick to grip the line and pull it instead)

This might not be the cause of your problem (Unless you've been pulling out of a lot of snags?) but I reckon your reel is siezed at the spindle and shaft. Take it apart and take out the shaft and spindle, try pulling them apart, the shaft should easily fit through the spindle, try soaking the spindle and shaft like Kieran suggested.
Last edited by Adrian on Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.