Welsh newspaper

Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:34 am

Not sea angling- but I'm sure we'd all be interested
[url=http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/0100news/1000farming/tm_objectid=15087865&method=full&siteid=50082&headline=irish-greed-kills-salmon-name_page.html]Link is here[/url]

Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:47 am

I totally agree with the scope of the article, but I'm pretty annoyed at the generalization of the article title :evil:

Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:53 am

Dead right, agree with it completely.
There was a debate on RTE last night, if any of you managed to see it, very interesting. Gallagher doesnt care, though.

welsh

Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:29 pm

Embarrassing really :oops:

Wed Feb 09, 2005 7:13 pm

Steady on Wes, I think Pat 'The' Cope does care but this isn't a simple, 'lets ban drift netting in the morning' job. There are a lot of jobs at stake here, jobs in coastal communities where to be honest there are very few other opportunities. Of course it can be said that angling tourism will fill the gap but will it? The oft mentioned figure (not sure what it was) of the value of a rod caught salmon is said to be 5 to 6 times greater than that of a net caught fish. This is all well and good but these figures are based on high spending European/American anglers who may spend two to three weeks on a fishery. The reality of the situation is that anglers like this are thin and the ground in Ireland. And if we were to encourage them to attend then you will find that Irish anglers opportunities to fish on the same rivers will be greatly reduced either through the establishment of beat systems or by a greatly increased permit/licensed fees. These big spending angling tourists don't wan't to be fly fishing down a nice stretch of water only to come the bend in the river and find half the village flailing worms, prawns and spinners at the water. Why should they? They will find the rivers more to their liking in places like Iceland, Russia etc. It's a complex issue and one that needs to resolved but I think the angling community is going to have make sacrifices aswell, even if we don't want to.

That article by the Welsh portrays only one side of the argument and to be honest I think its a bit rich of them to be lecturing us about taking 'their' fish when their own trawlers have been towing the s*** out of our whitefish stocks for the last 150 years.

Pete

RTE PRIME TIME

Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:45 pm

I watched the Prime Time programe and if the CFB and the relevant government ministers don't seem to be surprised by whats happening, things look very bad for the future. Those quys illegally fishing in open daylight for Salmon catch Bass, Sea-trout and god knows what else. I wrote to Mr Pat "The Cope" Gallagher via Mr Dempsey on the 7th of January outling my concerns regarding illegal in shore fishing, lack of enforcement, destructive indiscriminate fishing methods and guess what still no responce bar a general letter that we are looking into it and will respond. In my opinion these quys don't care, its local politics on a global scale. I must keep my locals on side etc... If the government bothered to enforce regulations it would be a start but there is no will to do it. The whole fishing area seems to come under one heading, keep commercial fishermen happy because they provide such wonderful employment in these deprived coastal communities. I am sorry I don't buy it, just how much employment do these guys provide (where are the figures?). What annoys me most about commercials is that they knownly damage future stocks and put absolutely nothing back into securing fishing stocks. Its just plunder, plunder, plunder.
Sorry for the rant, but I am getting totally drunk with the situation. I hope some people on this forum would write to the Minister in question, expressing their concerns. I think we may disagree in part but I think we all agree that things can't continue as before or in less time than we think we will be taking up a different past time.

Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:12 pm

the article sums up the joke that is the irish goverment, why dont they buy out the drift nets and then ban them for good like every other country. it would cost a lot less then that big silver cock they have erected in the middle of o connel st which has **** all use, and now because of a loophole cant even make the money back, loophole heard that before.
why dont they ever use the money wisely we all know the benefits from tourism would far outwiegh the cost of buying out the netters, unless offcourse they like a lot of others found some loophole to enable them to fish again.

its all about votes.
about the article it should not be irish greed kills salmon
it should be irish gov lack of balls kills salmon.
enough said im starting to feel an assasination coming on (watch out fat cats im coming for you.)