beginner help

Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:35 pm

Right got my gear - shore casting rod and a leeda fixed spool reel, have a good selection of hooks and printed loads of info out about different rigs and knots. Took me ages but I tied a pennel rig to a shock leader and made my way to howth on Sunday for about an hour and a half just before low tide, I didn't catch a sausage or a fish! now that's my third barren trip and I'm beginning to lose heart but I'm far from beaten! I just printed the bait guide from this site and it looks great at first sight, what I need is just a few tips to improve my chances of catching ANYTHING and as I'm a beginner please be specific as I'm only now getting to understand the lingo.

thanks

I can offer this site that I've been using hope you find it useful

[url]http://easytide.ukho.gov.uk/easytide/EasyTide/SelectPort.aspx[/url]

advice

Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:42 pm

join the club

in the exact same boat as you matey except been thrashing the waters aroudn cork to no avail.

decided that the best answer would be to stop going it alone and join a club, so I did today.

might be an idea?

help

Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:26 pm

Will do, I've tried http://www.hsac.ie (howth sea angling club) and it seems to be down so as soon as I get some time I'll make contact.

cheers

Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:42 pm

Rocky,

You're down in Cork and haven't caught a fish!!! Get down to Monkstown as quick as you can. Take crab and lug or lug & mussel. with a pulley rig and a 5 or 6oz weight, stick it on your hook, whip it on with bait elastic (essential to keep it on the hook during the cast) and cast out as far as you can. I think the best spot is in the centre of the grassy part or toward the right of the grassy part. Get there at slack water and fish either the first couple of hours as the tide is rising or the first couple of hours as the tide is falling. I love Cork!!

KiwiJbob,

I was the same as you in blanking, in fact worse! I'd been out every weekend this year trying places other than my usual haunts and blanked. Caught one whiting at Cougher Head to save face. Went down to Cork with a mate and caught over 60 fish between us over last weekend! I'm out fishing this weekend, so if you want to meet up on Sunday, I'll try and get you to a spot.

As a couple of tips: try a 2 or 3 hook flapper on reasonably clean ground. Put mackerel on one hook, sandeel on another and lug or rag on another. Fish from low tide up - the tides are great for an early start this weekend (7 to 8am onwards). If that doesn't get you a fish, try again, perahps with mussel whipped onto the hook with bait elastic.

advice

Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:55 pm

IDPearl - I know, I'm mortified
was there a couple of weeks ago and blanked, couldn't hit the distance and too much fresh in the harbour anyway.
I'd be there now if if could but transport woes are in the way...

forum

Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:13 am

Hi there i also new to this, used to fly fish. I blanked 5 trips first time. Then we started a forum for the lads up north. Its been a great going think. First trip 3 out next 4 and now 5 -6 people a trip. I have learnt loads from more in the know from were and when to what to use, and of course made some good mates both on line and on the beach. The help and crac been great. Read our reports and whats next and see its been all that and more. For safty and tips give it a go. Be sure to be safe just try travel to first meet with someone (i dont know your age) and from then on enjoy your fishing gain advice and most of all fish.