Fishing in Alicante/Torrevieja?

Sun Feb 06, 2005 7:27 pm

I'll be over in Torrevieje in a few weeks for a little break, gonna shove a little telescopic rod into the luggage, anyone know if the fishing around this general area is any good, and offer any advice like where to fish, what to fish for, what to use etc?
Thanks
Bren

Torrevieja

Sun Feb 06, 2005 9:06 pm

Hola amigo
I too will be in torrevieja-sounds like the the first foreign forum meet may take place. Second week in march?
Havent sussed the fishing yet, but I need to palm the missus off on my good family for a few days. I'll see what I can find out and come back on this one
Bigkev

Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:40 pm

Hoywa BigKev.. well what are the chances eh? :)
I will be going over 13th March for almost 2 weeks.. so sounds like a little mini foreign forum meet might just happen .. will keep my ears peeled too for any info I can find and let you know..
Cheers,
Bren

Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:31 pm

i was in Alicante 3yrs ago staying at la marina,and from the way the locals seem to fish there is this, the rod is between 12' and 14' with the butt ending in a spike,they walk into the water and pick up tiny hermit crabs about the size of your little finger nail,they usually use 1 at a time, they then walk out into the sea upto their chests and cast out,walk back to shore and stick the rod in the sand,hence the spiked butt,the reel is about 4' above the sand,they then either have a swim or sleep,and reel in after about an hour or so.when they do catch something it is no more than 4inches long at most,plus the occasional flattie of the same size,which is put into a bucket or staight away put on the barbie.i think your best bet would be fishing the harbours of torry,alicante and santa pola, where there are some big mullet. in the same areas they do have man made rocky outcrops going a fairway out to sea,where i saw a chap catch a cuda of about 5lbs one early morning, he was spinning.the nightime fish market at santa pola is well worth a visit just to see the different colourful species. there is a tackle shop in santa pola right by the harbour up a side street that also deals in diving gear. you never know your luck with bigger baits etc from any of the beaches tho. good luck,hope this helps in some way. regards Dougie :)

were to fish.

Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:53 am

Try the playa mil palmeras at the far end were the red rocks are this a but 2 miles from town but can walk there . also worth a cuk is cala del bosque at playa de la zenia again south about 2-3 miles on the left this time you will see flats and appartments and a small head land. you can cast away at these and never hit anyone. popular with us spanish but if you talk to us we dont bit. As for marina it for the splashers small whiting like fish bread will take these so no sport at all.(but some times a bigg fish follow fleet in) Take a normal rod and reel a pier rod say 10ft or even a 12ft beach caster i take it with me in a drain pipe for protection and it does not cost more , you check in and they will ask you to take it to outer cauge for big stuff. never lost one yet. Most spanish fish with a sand spike at night so a tele rod not much use and if you are going to fish the Mar Mediterraneo do it right as you dont do it every week. As for bait there is a good tackle shop in alicante but closer to you in punta prima in the plaza dela mar (town square) of one of the streets there is a small shop for bait and tips. Most just walk into surf for small crab also at rock pools you will get a small sea snail pink sort of back dark botom worth a go. but as in ireland smelly fish bait takes most. Onother fun may is to fly fish for them or spinn feathers. Iam from catalan area so next trip go to salou,or cambrills in costa dorada ( i from tarragona) i will be able to put you on fish and a man from salou sport fishing and he sort you with bait or even a boat. cheers and good luck hope some help to you mate

Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:55 pm

Well thanks to all for the advice.. good idea about the drainpipe for the rod! I was just planning on bringing an expendable tele rod because I didn't want to risk a good rod on the flight (had a guitar destroyed before :( ). Now.. how am I gonna get that drainpipe off the neighbours house... ? hmm

pipe

Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:01 pm

pm me with address i send you one free (only because iam jealous not going home this year)