FLAT FISH/POULNASHERRY BAY

Fri Feb 04, 2005 5:06 pm

Hi, I have started fishing in the past few months and have found this forum really helpful. In January I tried to target flatfish and I have fished the mouth of Poulnasherry Bay at low tide a few times but have only managed to catch dogfish. I was using 1/0 hooks with mackeral so I will drop down the hook size but I would appreciate it if anyone could advise if Poulnasherry Bay is a good location for flatfish or should I be trying somewhere else? I tried Spanish Point two weeks ago and blanked. For info, distance casting wouldn't be a strong point.
By the way, seeing posts about others blanking is very consoling and helps the restore the confidence (a bit anyway.)

Fri Feb 04, 2005 6:02 pm

Hi Woody,

I only started fishing the clare side last year in competitions and have only fished poulnasharry the once but I'll try and give some advise. Poulnasharry is well known for dogfish so they may be getting to your bait before the flatties. Though I don't know how good a flatty venue it is. Coming into febuary the flounder go off to spawn so there may only be a few small ones around but there may be dabs there. Staying away from fish baits may keep the doggies away and there are lug beds in the bay that could be dug. Plenty of crabs here so floaty beads will be needed if useing lug and keep your hooks small. I think also the kilkee side of the mouth is the side to fish.

BTW Poulnasharry fished very well for ray last april. I'm told they come in on mass after peeler. It also has a population of bass and few stingers that can grow very big.

Donagh

Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:09 pm

Hi Donagh,
Fished Poulnasherry this morning. No dabs, no dogs, but caught my first ever ray. It didn't put up any great fight and I was surprised and panicked a bit when I saw what was on the end of line. I was fishing the one hook rig with a two foot snood and size one hook that was recommended for dab fishing in another thread. Used fat earth worms that I came across when digging the garden yesterday as I was worried I wouln't find any lug. As it turns out there was pleny of lug but I forgot the fork in the rush to get out this morning.
Thanks very much for the advice - I really appreciate it. It seems a funny game this fishing.
Woody

Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:29 am

Try sand eel and mackerel combo and on their own for ray here. You'll catch plenty of doggies on that but their better than nowt. I'd stick with the rig your using and a pair of waders or even wellys at the right place will get you more distance.

Donagh