Best Buys?

Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:30 pm

Im looking to buy 2 rods and 2 reels for fishing. I have plenty of spinning reels and rods and I want to make a step up, what would be the best buys??
A rod and reel for clean sand, fishing rays,flats,dogs,bass. And a combo for rough ground, fishing conger & bull huss.

ewn reel & rods

Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:19 pm

Can you give us an idea of a budget for each pairing Markj?

Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:59 pm

About €200 for each combo or less!

Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:27 pm

You could probably get away with one rod for the moment and that would mean you'd have one very good outfit. A ron thompson g-force combo would be worth a look at. Good rod for the price and a begginer could use it but the rings don't look like they can last. A more expensive option penn outasite surfblaster though a multiplier rod can be used with a fixed spool reel and has fuji rings (they don't shatter or corrode as easy). Try and get the best quality reel you can as it will stand to you. Someone else could give you better advise on this (I use multipliers) but the okuma axeon seems to be the one to go for. The penn surfmaster 70 is also top notch but only comes with one spool. Its handy to have as many spools as possible so you can have different lines for different ground.

Donagh

reel and rod combo

Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:54 pm

Hi markj

The Axeon is a superb looking piece of kit, really top quality but you will be lucky to find it for less than 130 EUR inc p&p from an online store in the UK. If you spend 400 on one good quality kit, then certainly the Axeon is a star.

I have just bought the smaller Zircon 30 for around 65 EUR inc P&P which is a good deal, its made by Okuma as well and whilst a step down, its good value for a spinning reel. You could pick up a decent 3 metre / 10 foot spinning rod for well under 75 EUR, leaving you c. 260 EUR for a better beachcaster (12-13 foot) combination. I have just bought the reel from Mikes Tackle in Edinburgh and they seem a very efficient crew. In fact I will bang off an email and see what he will sell you for 400 EUR!

The best option is to look for a combination rod and reel offer as there is often excellent value available off these deals. Try all the main sites...

FWIW

Mikes Tackle

Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:58 pm

http://www.mikestackleshop.co.uk/shoppi ... Sea_7.html

They did nothing more than list the above link. Worth having a look at and if you see something you like, do a google on it to find other suppliers / prices.

FWIW

Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:22 pm

I've 5 Dragon Riptide Surf 12ft Beachcasters that I want rid of - going at 30 yoyos a piece plus P&P. I dont sell rods on the website and dont want to put them on the site, so rather than stick them up on ebay or in the paper , anyone wants one can have one (or 5 !!!). Brand new, in the bag.

Dont know how good or bad they are as I dont shore fish.

cheers,

Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:17 pm

How about the following:- :arrow:

Penn 525 mag + Daiwa Beefstick 12' Surf ringed for Multiplier.

Okuma Corrida F/S + Okuma Tundra 12' surf ringed for F/S.

All brand new all for €255 plus P&P...........Pay via PayPal. Buyer protection. Pay Pal verified sellar. Money back Guarantee......... :idea:

email for other combo's. Not much left after the christmas rush..... :!: