Total Beginner

Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:53 pm

I am a total beginner just bought equipment to start sea fishing, after reading some of the posts on here.

Can you please advise me on where will be best for a first night fishing. I was hoping to go out tonight around 11 somewhere in Dublin area.

Man in fishing shop said try DunLaoighre Pier.

:?:

Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:18 pm

High tide is about 3:30am so you will be on a rising tide. The long pier at Dun Loaghaire is pretty snaggy in places. The shorter pier seems to be a better place to fish by all accounts.
http://www.sea-angling-ireland.org/shor ... dublin.htm

Are you targetting a specific species or just out to give it a bash?

Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:09 pm

Just really want to take it up as a hobby, Had been talking about taking up fishing for the last 6 months.

Unfortunately won't really know what I am doing so will have to learn as I go.

Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:26 pm

You didnt really choose a great time of year to start up, So possible blanks can be expected, even the most seasoned anglers can't catch fish that arn't there.

Hope you bought a headlamp cos Stumbling about in the Dark on an Unlit mark is NOT fun.

Good luck, once you've been out a few times, you'll get the hang of it.

beginner

Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:11 pm

Hi Gregg and welcome

K2 has a point - if you are fishing at night, try for piers and harbours where (a) you get some shelter and (b) they are well lit hence no need for extra expense of headlight etc.

If you are based on the south side I would try Dun Laoghaire and use a three hook rig, say a two up one down - you can buy ready made rigs in most shops or off the Procast website (better mention out competition sponsors :wink: ) Bait is important and a worm bait works best on the bottom but try different baits and even combinations e.g. lugworm tipped with mackerel or squid. Ideally check here to see if there are any of the Dublin anglers heading off somewhere and I am sure they would give you a helping hand...

Blanking is all part of it: they call it fishing, not catching fish!

Tight lines, and if you are keen, why not join the SAI sea angling club - there are at least ten members based around Dublin for starters.

Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:26 pm

Gregg,

DL pier is as good a bet as any for comfort, but its quite a long walk out and back. If you didn't get the old headlamp yet, then you could try Greystones pier as the street lamps give a reasonable amount of light out to the end of the pier while night fishing and its short and easy to get down!

Bren

Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:22 pm

Hello there Gregg,
Im heading out tomorrow afternoon into night time to either Greystones or Kilcoole so if your stuck Ill be glad to pass on my limited knowledge to get you started

Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:02 pm

hi
i have been living in DL for the last few yrs and my advice would b to fish down to low tide on the long pier. fishh off the end and into the harbour with rag and u should get loads of mini flounder, use small hooks say a sizr 1 and ragworm which u can get in the tackle shop on patricks street. mackeral bait should get u a few dogs too and pin whiting will take either.