shrink tube

Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:01 am

just bought a new century rod for fixed spool. came with shrink tube how do i put the shrink tube on, can i pull the reel seat up over the shrink tube when i have the tube on and will the reel seat stick to the tube in the right position.

Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:34 am

how are you Lampoon. you can put the reel seat on over the shrink tube. this will allow easier change of position, should you want it. there are numerouse ways to hold the reel seat in place. you can use and araldite or lock it between tennis/ hurling grips and pvc tape. it is important to have a tightish grip between the reel seat and butt diameter anyway. if you have an adjustable reel seat then problem solved.

i have used bioling water from a kettle to put shrink tube on my rod blanks. this has worked fine but you do get 'splash marks'. these are ripples that run down through the shrink tube, and try as i might i cannot avoid them. you would hardly notice them though. however if you are going to the trouble you might as well do it right. i am going to try a heat gun next time as i reckon it's the best way. don't know how much they are or where you could get a lend of one though?

Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:37 am

You could use the heat from your cooking hob. Control the heat applied by raising/lowering the blank as required. A gas hob would probably be best but I don't see why an electric hob shouldn't work.

Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:47 pm

I've never done it before but i've seen it done in a rod building feature in total sea fishing. The guy in that used a hairdryer and just rotated the rod butt (with the shrink tube on) until all the shrink tube was set in place.

Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:46 am

yeah, seen it done with a hairdryer, but it has to be a 'high powered' one........brother sat for ages with some rubbich one trying to do that, eventually he tried a diff hairdryer, more powerful one and had it done in minutes. Is Aldradite not corrosive to plastic? strong stuff.

Shrink Tube

Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:07 pm

I have used boiling water and its very easy. The finish is usuall damn good and blemishes require close inspection to pick out. The trick is to start at the top of the butt section ie above the reel placement and continue down. Make sure you have enough tubing as it will obviously shrink at either end as well. The end tag can then be pushed into the butt and a butt cap placed over the end. Considering all the wear and tear a rod will go through I wouldn't worry above achieving a rod manufacturers finish. Shrink tube is great as it gives you better grip, gives the more narrow modern rods a stronger feel, protects the butt and gives your pride and joy a personalized feel. If you get some of the modern adustable reel seats make sure that the extra thickness of the butt will still allow the reel seat to be placed on the rod. However in both my rods I have a Penn adjustable reel seat and found that the seat could easily cope with the extra thickness of the tube and gave a more snug fit.

Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:46 pm

has anyone seen shrink tube smaller than 2"s???

Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:17 pm

yes i have! i found some in an electrical store. quite cheap too. suitable for corp rods. the bright yellow might be handy 4 tripod legs.

Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:52 pm

i have the tube on the rod but i cant get the ******* reel seat back up over it any ideas lads, im ******* cracking up here.

Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:35 pm

i have heard talcum powder can help a reel seat up over the tube if it's a tight fit. also try vaseline. i hope it works for you, don't go crazy just yet.

Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:41 pm

mb3 - what size was the shrink tube you got???
looking for some to suit the tiptornado super match...

Sat Jan 29, 2005 12:00 am

hard to remember what size it was as it was over a year ago that i bought it. it looked about half the width of standard rig tube. i will drop into the shop over the next week and get the diameter for you.

Sun Feb 13, 2005 7:13 pm

the guy has a few different sizes. what would you like??