Lacken pier and beach in Mayo

Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:06 pm

Am hoping to fish these two places to-morrow anyone fish them lately or know of any fish being caught

cheers
nige

Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:04 pm

one of the few places I've ever shore fished. Had great success with a floated jellyworm slowly retrieved !! Took quite a few pollock. Nothing huge but enough to keep me occupied.

Lacken

Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:17 pm

You will pick up lots of small turbot and flounder on the beach, from the river back towards Kilcummin and I have fished the flagstone along the east side quite a bit in the summer but rarely in the winter. Looks very bassy but then so does all of Mayo and they are as rare as hens teeth! Pier is very rough mark with lots of snags close in and only fishes best in high water, lots of mullet in the summer, congers underneath but to no appreciable size. The rocks on both sides are good for pollack, and codling at low water is possible off the beach nearer the rocks. Lovely spot in the summer, not sure now.

Sat Jan 29, 2005 9:33 pm

cheers lads.didnt go in the end.went to Fanore and caught nothing.

nige

Mayo beaches

Sat Jan 29, 2005 9:48 pm

Nige

If you ever want data on any of the Mayo marks I will do my best for you... intend to fish some bass producing beaches in two weeks time and with the right bait and technique this time!!!

FWIW

Kieran

Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:46 am

Kieran,

What do you think is the right bait and technique? I've failed miserably so far.

Ian

Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:51 am

Hello there Kieran. Ive heard of some nice turbot and bass being caught on one of the beaches near Blackhead in the last couple of weeks, dont know if thats within range of where your intending to fish but if so I can get the details for you.