tournament rods for rough ground?

Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:35 pm

can anyone recommend a rod or two for fishing for huss, congers, cod and the like over rough ground. i want to team the rod with a 535mag and want something pretty serious!! i would also like it to cast reasonably large leads and baits longish range in heavy seas. cheers.

Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:56 pm

forgot to mention, i was thinking about a conoflex nemesis. anyone got one/ used one??

Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:02 am

have a pair of the slr plus..perfect for the rough stuff,u wont find a better rod around..u might find the 535 a bit heavy though, might b better of with the 525mag mounted low on the butt..

Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:51 am

i had a look at it on the conoflex web site. seems to be the man for the job alright. nice 3.5 mm tip too. yummy!

Sun Jan 23, 2005 3:35 pm

go for a ron thompson exellarator, great rough ground rod and would go well with the 535

Rough ground rods

Mon Jan 24, 2005 1:46 am

Conoflex nemises plus slr 2002 is a good choice as I use them in the shannon estuary and the century tip tornado sport is also a good choice too.

Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:36 pm

find the tiptornado sport very soft,not suited for the rough stuff at all..great rod for general match fishing...

Well your wrong

Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:28 pm

I will say it again the Tip Tornado is suitable for rough ground fishing...............

Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:30 am

Can't go wrong with a Century Carbon Metal. They are stiff and will handle just about anything you can throw at them. Like most stiff rods they need a decent casting style to bend them properly though.

It's also the cheapest rod out of those mentioned, bar the RT. Heard that was just a big pole with rings though, not much of a fishing rod? Never seen one though so perhaps should reserve judgement there....

Wed Jan 26, 2005 12:00 pm

I use the carbon metal, ists very stiff alrite - but bite detection is fantastic, and if you can cast properly big distances are achievable. It may be a little stiff for close in work, but Ive often used it for floundering with no problems. Saying that ive used it for conger over rough ground too. Its a lot of rod for the money

Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:56 pm

How good are these ron thompson beachcaster
can they get you to 150 in the right hands.

Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:00 pm

My advice for what its worth stay well clear of Century and 'Ron Thomson' rods...all a pile of shite! You really cant beat the Conoflex or Diawa ranges. The Nemmy is a great rod ive been using it myself for nearly 10 years and find it brilliant. Plenty of backbone and good for casting aswell.

Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:33 pm

I've been giggling away here for a while at the description of Century rods as "crap".

I suspect a wind up here, because they are widely acknowledged as being superb casting and fishing rods, and many of the top anglers use them. They are also particularly effective over rough ground.

They also hold nearly every casting record in the book.

I have a Century CM, and love it.

Mark, I'll bring mine down on Thursday (assuming I can get out of training for 30 mins to meet up with you guys), and you can take a look at it then

Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:35 pm

BTW, agree with you about the Daiwa range, lovely rods and great value for money.

Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:42 pm

If you bring a reel, line and sinker, we can see it in action! :D :shock:

Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:43 pm

Steve wrote: many of the top anglers use them.

In my experience the top anglers use Conoflex, and the wanabees use Century! Was at the Winter Beach last week and didnt see many Century rods being used!

Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:45 pm

Steve wrote: many of the top anglers use them.

And dont forget the Zippies....top class rods.

Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:57 pm

lol..
I'm trying to figure out if it is one guest updating his posts, or two different guests. Any chance of registering on the forum, lads?

Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:55 pm

southside angling had a carbon metal in the shop. second hand i think too. before christmas though. i'd love to give the rod a few casts but it will be dark (only if you didn't mind of course Steve!). pity! i have too say though the nemesis does seem spot on and i can get a blank too. i wish blanks where more easily obtainable. anyway, i best start saving. in the mean time if anyone has a nemesis they wouldn't mind me having a bash don't be shy.

Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:04 pm

I use conoflex, century, penn, and a custom made rod from Bob Moss and find then all good and can be used for different types of fishing.

In my opinion fishing rod choice is up to the individual and I myself wouldnt knock anyone's choice of rod as were not all able to affoard some of these gran prix rods we have better things to do with our money and if anyone is shallow enough to slagg off an angler about his choice of fishing gear then they are the ones with the problem.