Multipliers and braid

Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:46 am

I just read the irishangler article on "De wall" last night (found it excellent) and was wondering about braid and casting multipliers. Anyone I know thats done this has had a nightmare with it and recommends only using it for FS. I know Donal is on the forum so is there any secret or does anyone have any opinions?

Donagh

Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:31 pm

I treid 50lb braid straight through on my 525 mag, and took it off rather rapidly - it can bed in on the reel, birds nest are more likely, and when they do happen, it's a nightmare to unravel - cut it and move on, basically

Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:47 pm

Im so glad i read this post i was going to switch to braid on my 525mag this W/E, and i have been know to get a few bird nests with my current set-up on mono! Will have to wait until the cast gets a bit smoother me thinks :lol:

multipliers and braid

Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:36 pm

been using braid foe a few years and never had any great problems with it. When retrieving I get the line across the spool in about 2 winds of the handle. This loads the line at slight angle which I think is the answer to problem. I use 33lb. braid with 50lb. shockleader. The bite detection is great, even on small 20cm fish on the windest of days. But DO NOT use it over rough ground or if there is a danger of weed pulling it down on to a stoney beach it just falls apart on the next good fish.