monkstown

Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:24 pm

hi sam
yeah I got told something similar in the end. just goes to show... well I'm not certain what it goes to show but it must go to show something. Probably that I should spend more time fishing and less time reading bloody magazines! :lol:

The wall, misguided Harry and the right times to fish it

Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:15 pm

the irish angler artical was fished on the 4th. of Dec. high water was 09.56 with a 3.5m tide. The tide on that morning only rose 1.9m this ment no great run in the tide. Because I live on the northside of the city I cross the river at wellington bridge I will aways creck the flow of fresh water coming over the weirs. As for fish on last weekend the river has been in full flood for over 2 weeks and you fished a 3.7m dropping tide. I would not even drive the 20 min. spin down there to see whats happening. Distance is the thing on the wall to getting fish on every cast. But you need slack tides to stay out there. Even on the big tides I would only fish the start of the flood or the start of the drop and always book in a gas boiler service or two in the area for good measure.

As for harry the these boys in the 2 trawlers can smell the cod in the river as fast as I can and will be trawling it long before the anglers start fishing the wall. My fist session was the 1st. week of November and when I got there there was a net across the channel. At that time I went down only on a few whispers I herd from other anglers. I can supply photos of the dozen 2lb. to 4.5lb cod and of the boby pulling their net.

Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:21 pm

Would make ya sick wouldnt it...

Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:44 am

I've enjoyed this thread and there's lots of feedback here.

Anyone who does not want to know where, when, and how to catch fish, really should not be reading Irish Angler.

Similarly if they do not want to see advertisements, they are not readers I particularly want, because without advertisements there is no magazine.

From the consensus forms which were completed and returned, we were able to determine that 50-60% of readers are game fishers, 30% are sea fishers and 10-15% are coarse fishers.

I use a simple spreadsheat to share the 70 editorial pages to match. The bass fly fishing articles are classified as 'game' not 'sea', so sea anglers can read them as a bonus. By the way, the game anglers love the sea articles, and some do a bit out of game season.

Cork harbour was well established as a (and I use the term loosely) 'commercial fishery' long before recreational anglers came along. It seems obvious to us that it has more value as a recreational fishery today. I believe it would benefit, by far, the vast majority of Cork City people if the nets/trawlers were removed and Cork Harbour became a mecca for anglers.

Finally, journalism is one of the lowest paid trades.

Thanks for all the comments about the magazine. Your comments on this forum, or emails are always welcome.

One day there may be enough sea anglers to justify a dedicated sea angling magazine, but until then you're stuck with me.

Roger