Open Rock Compition

Fri Jan 07, 2005 4:35 pm

Myself and a few more anglers in the howth reigon were just woundering would the be any take up on an open rock compition pegged around the marks in howth we reckon there is space for ruffly 30 anglers.

But im mainly worried about insurance as in this day and age an angler could injure themself and sue myself or other organisers or would that be possibe. :roll:

It would be a bit off fun and freindly compition witch most angles enjoy and would no be a bad day out. If anybody has any suggestions send me a message would be happy of some advice.

Sun Jan 09, 2005 10:38 am

Been thinking about this one a bit John.

There are a few inherent problems with a rock fishing comp around howth. Certain marks, such as the Bailey, involve walking across private land. Being allowed to cross this land is a privilage rather than a right. Venture any further toward the lighthouse and you a risking invasion of the privacy of the occupants.

The access to these marks is getting very risky for the most part at this time of year. Webbs Castle Rock is suffering erosion at quite a rate at the moment to to wind, rain and frost. The Split Rock at Howth is virtually inaccessible when it has been raining as the rocks at the bottom give you no grip and although you may be able to slide down without too much damage, getting back up is tough. With the spring tides, the rocks at the bottom are also slimy. Bearing in mind it is a deathly drop to each mark, I do not think it should be encouraged. No fish is worth dying for and you do take your life in your hands each time you venture down. The marks then open to you are Howth Pier and Balscadden. I know Balscadden is producing pin whiting, and I guess Cat rock will be too, but there are not too many favourable spots there.

The telegraph pole is limited as too is the Lion's Head.

None of these marks are producing fish in any quantities and the fishing is likely to get worse over the next couple of months. I was fishing the Bailey with m.b3 last night in a howling gale. Best of baits produced a doggie and a reasonable whiting for m.b3 and a blank for me. The spray coming up from the waves made it VERY tricky underfoot.

Personally, I think it best that competions or meets are kept to the "safer" beaches where generally you don't risk breaking a limb or even losing you life.

Just my 2c. :wink:

Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:15 am

Main problem with this type of competition is catch and release. Roving competition usually have a weigh in so most clubs have ditched them. They can still be run catch and release but theres a danger mates will mark each others cards with invisible fish.

Donagh

Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:06 pm

Insurance is definately one problem area. We had a situation a number of years ago where an angler fishing our competition fell on the rocks in Ballygannon and could not get up again. We had to get the emergency services , fire brigade and ambulances, and halt rail traffic - there were some costs involved.

There was no sympathy from these services for us, asking what klnd of idiots we were running a competition from such a potentially trecherous venue.

We were open to litigation from the angler concerned but we were covered to some degree by being affilaited to the IFSA. Thankfully, the angler took the blame himself for what occurrred but you cannot count on everybody being this honest.

It was a salutary lesson for us and we never use this area for competitions antmore. I would consider Howth Head to be more dangerous than Greystones.