fishing in youghal

Tue Dec 28, 2004 4:22 pm

hi there,i am going to youghal and want to know of some good marks and bait to use and what to fish for.not long at the fishing and would like to know a lot more.i caught a dogfish in ringaskiddy,did not know if you can eat them so i put it back.is there a web site for fish dishes.ta everyone and happy new year.

Dogfish

Wed Dec 29, 2004 5:10 pm

Tried twice to cook it, was told to chop off the head, remove skin as ealy as I could and live it in water with lemon juice for about four hours. Cooked it in the oven the first time, then fried it, tasted crap both times, all dogfish were throen back to the sea since then, not worth the hassle. Saw dogfish in the shops though

Wed Dec 29, 2004 6:48 pm

Hello there fateddie. Ive fished youghal a few times and its mainly a flounder area but you can get some decent codlng here also. There are a few places you can fish in and around youghal such as the slob bank and ferrypoint. In my experience fresh peeler is the only bait worth using but I havent fished there at this time of the year. I think DrSeafish is from around that area so if you send him a message he may be able to help you out. Best of luck anyway

Youghal

Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:38 pm

Sorry Just logged on after the Christmas Break, Youghal is not fishing great as its full of small coddling <1lb, the odd and very odd bigger fish is been caught. Crab is a must. THe best bet may be from the strand infront of the cark park & Victorian houses.

Tue Jan 04, 2005 3:43 pm

I fished the quay in Youghal last night and caught several small codling on recently deceased lug tipped with squid. I also caught two pan size whiting, on mackeral tipped with squid, which has restored my credibility at home. The last time I broght home a fish to eat was last August :shock: .