cobh and ferry point

Fri Dec 17, 2004 8:16 am

i'm heading to cork on our yearly trip to cobh for the big whitning that can be caught from the ferry wall. have done really well in previous years. wondering if anybody down south knows if the whitning are in. and if anybody can tell me a good mark to fish on the second day in around cork or waterford.. many thanks... anybody looking for info. on east coast marks...us ask.

info

Fri Dec 17, 2004 11:03 am

Check out my old buddy Chris's site. http://homepage.eircom.net/~fishy1tou/
This should help you out quite a bit. He knows the area well and is up to date fishing religously at least twice a week all the time. Otherwise known as 'Billy the Bass'. Send him a mail and he'll get back to you. Tell him I sent you...

Luke

Fri Dec 17, 2004 11:17 am

thanks very much dirty fecker much appreciated.. ill let you know how i get on......

Fri Dec 17, 2004 11:19 am

Chris is laid up at the moment. He broke a couple of knuckles in work I believe. But send him a mail because he has good contacts. With regard to whiting there are a lot of small ones around at the moment. I expect it to pick up in the new year though.

Check out the Cork reports thread for news. Monkstwon wall, chucking crab 150 yds is bringing in codling. Unfortunately I cannot chuck that far and I don't have crab :cry: .

Where is Ferry Point?

Fri Dec 17, 2004 11:23 am

that sound ill definetly give him a bell.. as for ferry point its a mark on the far side of youghal... supposably good for flonder and cod on the right tides...

Fri Dec 17, 2004 11:28 am

I know that Ferry Point, I thought you were referring to some mark in Cork harbour :oops: .

cobh and ferry point

Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:57 am

hi guys,

first timer so take it easy on me.

dont know much about cobh at the minute but im based in youghal and would strongly advise giving ferry point a miss if youre going night fishing unless youre targeting tiny codling and coalies as they are there in vast numbers.
if its daytime flounder action youre after then fish the mud flats on the road side of ferry point from just before the house pulling back up parrallel to the road as the tide pulls in (moving up with the fish). crab and to a lesser extent mussle are the only bait that will catch them though!

if youre looking for an alternative night venue youghal beach is probably your best bet some good whiting(lug tipped with mackerel) and a few codling over the 2.5lb mark(crab, mussle, lug and cocktails of all) are showing along with the inevitable dogfish. the end of the prominade infront of the row of large houses is the place to fish.

hope this helps

Sat Dec 18, 2004 8:09 am

roketman thanks very much ... invaluable info... have u ever fished of the pier in ballycotton... is it any good?

cobh and ferry point

Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:40 am

havnt fished ballycotton myself in years but i believe its still fairly good for whiting, codling and coalies plus dogfish and large conger at close range. garryvoe, ballinwilling and ballycrenane are all pretty good beaches worth a try in ballycotton bay.

Sat Dec 18, 2004 11:59 am

The fishing in the Cobh harbour area has been very poor so far this winter, the usual bigish whiting are few and far between although Codling have been taken in larger than normal numbers, even on fish baits, again sizes have been small. The constant trawling of the harbour right up the river to Passage West does the angler no favours. Ho Hum good luck, you never realy know what the next tide will bring!

cobh and ferry point

Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:13 am

hey gitboy,
any feedback on your trip down south or did such poor reports put you off coming?
Last edited by rocketman on Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:06 pm

fished monkstown on sun took a suprise 7lb bass but **** all else only small pouting and codling 2 other decent whiting.
no decent cod taken at all it was as poor as id seen it probably because we were told that it was trawled th day before by some scumbag who should be shot. well some of the locals have a little treat in store for him next time he pulls his poxy boat through there - good luck to him.

Wed Dec 22, 2004 7:14 am

lampoon...fair play to ya...nice bass. pity about the cod... but a cork angler said the best saying to me i have ever heard...'you never know what the next tide will bring'

monkstown wall january 2nd and 3rd

Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:04 am

meWent on our usual pilgrimage to cork. with low expectations, given the reports we were hearing, especially cause we didn't have the almighty peeler crab, but after arriving and fishing for only ten minutes on the the wall, our fresh mussel and 3 day old lug were pulling in codling to a pound...alot of ppl fishing along the pier on the first day, all catching at a steady rate with one or two cod hitting the 4-5lb mark, that night we relocated to cobh which is a shadow of its former self compared to last year's success, i'm told this is due to the trawlor's who plundger everything and anything along the quay. the second day we were to fish youghal but local knowledge put us wide and we decided to try our luck again on the wall, started slow on day two but picked up all day as whiting to 45cm came over the wall and cod to my p.b. of 53cm also came...what a mark. already dying to arrange next years trip. i just like to also mention the fishermen in cork are the friendliest ppl and most heplful ppl you'll ever come arcoss, especially mary from cobh tackle and donal domeney thanks very much, donal thanks to spare lug i caught the biggest cod of the weekend...going to be very hard to go fisihng on the east coast after a weekend like that.