portrush

Sun Dec 05, 2004 8:50 pm

hi all

im going to be fishing the inter-provincail on the 14th 15th of janurary.im just wondering is the fishing over rough groung or clean ground and what are the main spicies at the following beaches:portswarth east strand and benone.any info would be a great help e.g hook size baits are limited to:rag lug mackerel herring sandeel mussel.

tanks a lot!!

portrush

Mon Dec 06, 2004 1:08 pm

it is all clean ground mainly sand,portstewart flounder bass turbet and mullet.white rocks flounder dogs whiting coalies.benone flounder , turbet,dogs and bass.hook size sie 1 and 2 it will be mainly flounder .

portrush

Mon Dec 06, 2004 5:55 pm

ok

tank you for the info

portrush

Mon Dec 06, 2004 6:18 pm

no problem mate.look out for me i am supposed to do marshel.

portrush

Mon Dec 06, 2004 8:25 pm

dont worry i will look out for u!
hope 2 see ypu in jan

portrush

Mon Dec 06, 2004 8:32 pm

if i where you i would bring some scratching rigs aswell.

portrush

Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:10 pm

hi

when you say scratching rig do you mean rigs with small hooks?the min hook size allowed is 4

portrush

Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:12 pm

hi

when you say scratching rig do you mean rigs with small hooks?the min hook size allowed is 4 oh yea do u know what bait ios good we are only allowed mackerel herring lug rag

portrush

Mon Dec 06, 2004 10:50 pm

baits lug ,rag, sandeel, makerel crab does not work aswell here as iot does in dublin and cork.the flounder take rag tipped with makerel.size 2 hooks would be ok,on booms seems to work better for the flounder.good luck for the match see you there.any other question just ask.cheers john.

Thu Dec 09, 2004 2:27 pm

Hi Beachcaster,

What distance is best at Benone & Portstewart for flatties? I've never tried it and worry that I wouldn't have the distance to get anything.

Cheers,

Arthur

Thu Dec 09, 2004 4:28 pm

hi
you wont need distance in the daylight. only for dogs at night. either mackerel or sand eel.
dingbat

portrush

Fri Dec 10, 2004 6:36 pm

the flatties will be caught close in maybe the odd bass and turbet.

portrush

Fri Dec 24, 2004 2:22 pm

hi lads tank you all for this info

Portrush

Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:28 pm

The info you have is spot on, but sometimes bait the odd hook up with lug and mackerel strip. Bass and turbot are only taken in these daytime competitions by fluke and are not targeted.
Experiment with grip and rolling leads.
The nightime venue, White Rocks, can be a distance venue but try scratching close in at some time.

portrush

Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:58 pm

the white rocks of late has turned up a lot of flounder,close in dogs and whiting and coalies are the main target but you never know i once seen a very good conger caught there on a live whiting.