Competion fishing

Sat Nov 27, 2004 3:01 pm

Hi folks,

Have any of you guy's got advice to improve my catch rate in competions.
what kind of rigs do you use? any kind of info would be helpful.

Marc

Sat Nov 27, 2004 10:16 pm

Hello Scara Never mind the smart remarks. On this site there is all the info you want. If you are fishing a sandy beach in a competitions. A plain 3 hook flapper would be good enough. as the fish are usually flounder and are usually close in. make sure you have the best bait you can get. There is another problem if the fish are not in front of you, you cannot catch them. If you can get away with a rolling lead so much the better, another method is the slow wind in. Watch what the anglers around you are doing , especially those catching fish. Note the rig and the method used.
Dingbat[/list][/url]

Competitions

Sun Nov 28, 2004 12:03 am

When you have all Dingbat says looked after you must also consider your workrate. Having baited traces ready to clip on after retrieve etc... Changing baits regularly etc....
When you look at the guys winning comps. you'll generally see the work rate is enormous.

Jim.

Sun Nov 28, 2004 12:16 am

Jim is right ,but spare traces can be prepared and ready. changing depends on (1) catching fish (2) the force of the sea washing out bait. (3) the amount of crabs about,(4) I would change about every 15 minutes but I think the old maxim applies( more hurry the less speed)
dingbat

Sun Nov 28, 2004 11:47 am

Ahh Pep!

I've deleted your post. No one minds a bit of banter or whatever, quite look forward to the jokes and slagging but when someone genuinely asks for help, commenting on their typos (of which we are all guilty) is hardly the right response. You could have at least given the man a few pointers.

Give the man a break, he's not catching any fish! :wink:

A final tip for scara: consider using different baits that you would not expect to use on a given mark: bizarrely I have found several marks where the local lugworm are outfished 15 : 1 by razorfish and there isn't a razor on the whole beach. I don;t know why, I just know that it works...

HTH

Sun Nov 28, 2004 6:20 pm

Funny that, I decided to use Razorfish for a First a few weeks back...
(Didnt realise why they called it Razorfish til I got a serious finger slicey!)
Whether it was my Blood or the Razorfish the Coalys went mad for 'em...
Nice to see!

Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:52 pm

Three Must Have's for competitions: 1. Speed
2. Good Bait Presentation
3.Watercraft

Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:43 pm

Hello there scara, When using three hook flappers in competition, as the lads were saying dont be afraid to vary your baits and when you find whats catching most, stick with that. Try and find out what gets caught on the beach that youll be fishing and aim your tactics towards those species ie. if a certain venue is known to throw up dogs whiting and the odd bass, then concentrate on the dogs as they are often the most numerous species and easily caught. Try using additives aswell such as pilchard oil or wd40 for extra sent if your normal baits arent working.

Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:59 pm

I had planned to bring a mixture of baits, white rag, king rag, mackeral,mussels and maybe some sandeels. i have some fish oil from the factory in killybegs i might give it a go.
As the beach fishs well for both flats and bass was thinking of using a size 3/0 on the top of the rig and two size 1/0 on the bottom two snoods, see whats being caught and then aim for that directly. ie go smaller hooks for the flats or larger if there's bass being caught. I have a good catch record in my own hidden spots just seem to blank on the competitions.

PS. as i didn't see the smart ass remarks i won't coment but i let my fishing do the talking . 29 bass since may. not bad seeing i only caught my first in oct '03. . only took one for eating, smallest 2 1/4lb largest 4 1/2 lb. last 2 caught on monday night.

Thu Dec 02, 2004 2:00 pm

sorry , i also meant to thank you all for the advice.

Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:15 pm

Scara,
if you are looking to change hook sizes quickly without changing the whole rig use small rig clips.Instead of putting swivels between the crimped beads on a 3 hook flapper put an these rig clips.Then tie several different sized hooks to your snoods and tie on yor swivels and bobs your uncle you can change individual snoods quickly.

Fri Dec 03, 2004 6:46 pm

hello scara
tight lines and may you have many hours, days, weeks, months and years fishing
dingbat

Fri Dec 03, 2004 6:54 pm

bigcol wrote:Scara,
if you are looking to change hook sizes quickly without changing the whole rig use small rig clips.Instead of putting swivels between the crimped beads on a 3 hook flapper put an these rig clips.Then tie several different sized hooks to your snoods and tie on yor swivels and bobs your uncle you can change individual snoods quickly.

thanks ..good idea.