Kinsale Marks?

Wed Nov 24, 2004 1:41 pm

I have just moved to the Kinsale area and am looking to find some good fishing marks close-by. I tried the old road bridge 2 weekends ago without any luck..although i think i was to late in the tide. Does anyone know any marks in that area currently producing? I have seen the Kinsale area Marks guide but would love some insider knowledge on baits and tacktics for this time of year?

thanks

Sam

Thu Nov 25, 2004 11:30 pm

sandy cove for lug. garrettstown fishes well for bass and flounder by day night fishing for dogs. southern side of charles fort fishes well for conger and dogs. beyond that at the boatyard you will get sick of catching dogs.
have not fished conger rock in the last few years (down the walkway oppisit the spaniard bar) used to fish well for 1-2lb cod and small whiting with fish baits. if you can hit 150yds + and can get your hands on crab the monkstown is only a 20 min. spin away

Fri Nov 26, 2004 10:48 am

Thanks! Have fished the boat yard before but never heard of conger rock must investigate further. Might consider a spin out to monkstiwn on the Sunday if the weather is dry and i can pick up a few likely looking crabs tommorow. Whats the story on the wall fishing well? Cod about?

monkstown wall

Sat Nov 27, 2004 3:52 am

went to the wall on friday but some local boatmen were pulling a net uptide of it had about a dozen casts only caught a few poor cod.

Sat Nov 27, 2004 6:30 pm

Im torn between trying out a few local spots and the wall in monkstown. I Finally managed to find some of the KB Atlantic selection frozen bait packs in the Tackle/bike rental place in Kinsale. Great bait pack with Crab, razor, mackeral, sqid and sand eel. Will give it ago tommorow, where ever i end up, and see what comes up trumps!

Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:54 am

That old raod bridge mark is swarming with crabs! And they must be huge they were picking the hooks clean in about 1-2 mins, after a few hours of feeding them with no fish even getting a lookin i gave up and headed to the wall in Monkstown. Caught lots of whiting but they were all small some very small... still they were fish but nothing big enough for my dinner. Anyone got any tips for

1. Stopping the crabs i was tipping with squid which seemed to slow them down a bit but is there some trick with corks?

2. Stopping the really small fish getting to my bait first on the wall

Mon Dec 06, 2004 12:42 pm

Hi Sam

In relation to squid, it is effective if you can wrap it around the bait and secure it in place with shirring elastic, particularly so when the other bait in the cocktail is scent based such as lugworm or crab. One option if you are prepared to wait for the one big fish and blank on other nights is to stuff a load of mackerel, crab or lugworm into the "pocket" created by the whole squid body. Pull off the head, insert finger and scoop out the guts, remove the thin transparent backbone, stuff with bait and seal tightly with elastic.

Small (half to a third of a wine bottle) corks work well, however a better option is a few floaty beads added above the hook on the snood, or at the junction on a wishbone rig. The new plastic wine corks (for those of you who purchase your wines from more modern wineries in Chile etc) are better still. I have heard that anglers in the UK shine their headlights on the beads just before casting as it tends to increase their luminosity underwater at night.

HTH

Mon Dec 06, 2004 1:30 pm

A 1/4 of cork slide onto to the snood about 6 inchs back from the hook does the trick for me. I use a baiting needle to get the cork on the snood and rig tubing doubled over to trap it so you can adjust the where on the snood you want them. While fishing with small barb hooks you can add cork using a baiting needle and push it up a hook onto the snood. The floating beads are fine for clean ground but I find them expensive on mixed ground.

Kieran,

Are the plastic corks easy to cut up? Would you just used a knife.

Donagh

plastic corks

Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:17 am

Hi Donagh

Small hacksaw does the trick on the black ones which are firmer.
Aul (for piercing leather) heated gently on the range does for the hole.

FWIW

Fri Dec 10, 2004 5:02 pm

In the Process of finding some Plastic corked bottles to empty over the weekend (purely for the corks you understand), Will cut em up and try again at the old road bridge!