eating dogfish

Thu Nov 18, 2004 12:38 pm

SORRY LADS, POSTED THIS IN THE REPORTS SECTION BY MISTAKE.

came accross thread on another fishing website. has anyone ever tried to eat dogfish?
"Dogfish really taste good if you gut, bleed, and ice them immediately after catching (like bluefish). Badly handled, they are awful eating (also like bluefish). Well handled, they are as good as mako and close to swordfish, especially on the grill. The meat can be frozen for short periods of time. They are what the Brits use for fish and chips.
Long ago, I saw an article on prepping dogfish for cooking in Salt Water Fisherman and convinced a friend to save one for us to cook. It was delicious. Unfortunately, I've never been able to catch one off the beach, since I mostly use flies."

for the rest of the banter follow this link:
http://www.reel-time.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40636

Re: eating dogfish

Thu Nov 18, 2004 12:53 pm

They are nice eating but it's a job to skin them, bleed them and keep them in good condition......Fish greystones with some mackerel and you'll get browned off with the amount you'll catch....

Saying that I was down in Howth about a month(or more) ago getting some fish for the dinner and there sitting on the harbour beside a couple of trawlers was about 6 fish boxes full of doggies....just sitting there rotting in the sun...What a waste.

John

Thu Nov 18, 2004 2:39 pm

Theres a place beside our offices in London, called the Paternoster or something. Was reading through the menu looking for a decent bit of fish on one of my trips over the pond.....glancing.....glancing....still glancing.....ROCK SALMON. One of the guys I was with was talking to one of the managers he knows, and a fisherman, so I asked him about the 'Rock Salmon'......"you ever catch dogfish?", he said. Yeah, I said....."well, thats it, cooked properly of course", he said. Ordered it and it was fantastic.

As for doing them yourself, my grandfather used to boil them for a bit, apparently the 'sandpaper' peels off easier!

Thu Nov 18, 2004 3:27 pm

the boxes of doggies were for the whelk pots. its the same off the coal pier in dunlaoghaire

eating dogfish

Thu Nov 18, 2004 3:54 pm

never knew that rock salmon was the name for dogfish, but i have bought rock salmon a few times in the supermarket & it was ok, a bit boney. i reckon if cooked well it could be beautiful but alas my cooking skills leave a lot to be desired. pretty drand name foe the pesty bliters

Thu Nov 18, 2004 5:41 pm

If never done it before but I hear the way to skin them is to make a slit with a sharp knife right around behind the head of the dogfish.Then impale them on a piece of wood with a nail through the head then a sharp pull from where the slit was made to the tail should do it.Charming!.I imagine it's more difficult in practice than in words.

Thu Nov 18, 2004 6:11 pm

That sounds like the way an Eel is skinned.

Thu Nov 18, 2004 6:25 pm

That's the way my dad told me to do it! Whack a nail through the head into a post, slit them around the base of the head and then use a pair of pliers to skin them like a wabbit. I tried to skin one once, but found it was more trouble than it was worth. Lost half the skin on my fingers and it really didn't taste that great. Now I put 'em back!

Thu Nov 18, 2004 9:05 pm

Hi Guys.

Being from the UK, I have eaten doggies for ages. Aswell as being called rock salmon, they are sometimes called rock eel.

Skinning them is easy if you cut the head and fins off, and make a slit top and bottom of where the head was, and use two pairs of pliers, and grip the sandpaper either side of the slits. Pull your hands apart, and the skin should peel away fairly easily.

As for cooking them, I usually make up a light batter, and deep fry a section about 8-10 inches long, for about 8 minutes.

Cheers

Matt

Fri Nov 19, 2004 12:34 am

Eat them? EAT THEM!!!! If you want to eat them just come down and do a spot of fishing in Bantry Bay; you can have a years supply in a couple of days!
My theory on dogs is this; If they were so nice, how come they aren't often in fishmongers? A bit like flounder really, so nice that no-one ever bothers to sell them.

Doggies

Fri Nov 19, 2004 12:56 am

My father loves them, cooked in milk and onions. Another way of skinning them is to cook them in water for a few mins, take them out and the skin now peels off fairly easly. A quick look at the fish counter in Superquinn and you will see plenty of "Rock Salmon" (Doggies) for sale. The only problem with keeping them is that even after skinning, gutting and be-heading them they still manage to riggle and it can give you one hell of a fright a couple of hours later when fishing on a dark night.
Damien

dogs

Fri Nov 19, 2004 3:37 pm

Big think at home in spain. after you shin then roll in wet news paper and put in oven for 1hr and steam it they are great.

Mon Nov 22, 2004 5:39 pm

Sea Angler wrote an article " How to whip a Doggie out of its jacket" about a year back. Very informative. Have a look back at your SA's. Infact most fish sold as cod , smoked cod in chippers, is actually rock salmon! The cod stocks are just not there.

Doggies for food

Fri Dec 31, 2004 7:02 pm

Perhaps the commercial guys could lay off the Cod and target Doggies?

Trouble is we would never get many bites again.

Colin

Sat Jan 01, 2005 10:51 am

Everyone would be running about going, 'damn Cod', as opposed to 'damn Doggies'.

Sat Jan 01, 2005 3:14 pm

I actually went to the bother myself once.. felt wrong taking some doggies home but I wanted to see what they were like!! Unfortunately I hadn't read any articles on how best to skin them at the time so I struggled with many sharp tools before I got a decent fillet from them :D However I did know to soak the fillets in milk for about an hour prior to cooking them and then I threw them in batter and deep fried them.. have to say the meat was lovely and flakey and tasted great, but then you could pretty much deep fry anything the same way and it would taste nice.. so perhaps its a little bland eaten other ways! :-) I think if you devise a nice and quick way of filleting them, the meat is worth it! Still have to get over the whole thing of eating the 'rats of the sea' though!! :)
Bren

Sat Jan 01, 2005 9:07 pm

Love the avatar Accony :lol: Your not a prist are you? :wink: