Shimano Aerlex 8000

Wed Nov 17, 2004 4:24 pm

Havig recently purchased one of these reels I've found that when trying to "flip" the bail arm into retrieve it has to be done manually. Is there any way it can be done automatically by adjusting something on the reel, cheers.

Wed Nov 17, 2004 5:51 pm

I doubt very much if the reel is supposed to be like that, Does the handle rotate freely when the bail arm is open?

bail arm

Wed Nov 17, 2004 8:24 pm

Having used one for a number of years the bail arm should flip over when roated hard enough however you are better flipping it over manualy because the spring can become weak , and you could find it flipping over mid cast , when this starts to happen just cut the wire off. You get used to doing it manualy after a while you dont think about it

Wed Nov 17, 2004 8:26 pm

Hi Alby

Mine flips handy enough, but i found that the open bale arm must be at least half a turn from the point where the arm flips on retrieve. However I normally flip the arm manuallyon all my reels.

The only problem i have with this reel is that it does not come with a spare spool. I bought a Penn surfmaster 70 reel last year and think it is a far superior reel. I have been looking at the new diawa emblem plus reels in the mags - they seem to be a good buy.

Diawa emblem

Wed Nov 17, 2004 9:29 pm

I have a Diawa Emblem pro i picked it up for buttons earlier this year. I think they are about the best around at the moment for the price. I also have a Diawa emblem z 5500 for about 4 years it has got some hammering and it is still in good shape. I also have okuma axeon which my son has took a shine to, its not a bad reel but I think the line lay is not as good as the emblem also it gives a lot of line twist.

diawa emblem

Fri Nov 19, 2004 7:09 pm

Paul

where did you pick up the diawa emblem pro reel for 'buttons'.