Test curve V oz rating

Tue Nov 16, 2004 3:04 pm

I'm also doing a bit of pike angling at the moment and want to use my bass and sea spinning rods in fresh water but I'd like to know how do you work out test curve to what sinker rating the rod is for and visa versa.

Donagh

Mon Nov 22, 2004 5:53 pm

The test curve is the amount of weight a rod takes before the tip ring is perpendicular to the but of the rod. Sinker rating is the general recomended weight that the rod will cast but is not always true, e.g: a 4-8oz rod may only be able to take 6oz and vice versa. The manafacturers try to get away with it but the true casting weight is usully exposed in rod reviews in mags.

Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:08 am

Thanks but I know that much. What I'm looking for is say a 2lb test curve is equal to 3 oz casting weight.

Donagh

tets curve versus weights

Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:07 am

Hi

I know a couple of people in the UK who use carp rods for light shore angling for bass, predominantly with lures. They reckon that a 2.5 lb test curve can handle a 2.5 oz weight, maybe 3 oz but would not push it beyond that and not seek the horizon in casting. HTH...

Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:10 pm

As an extension of Keiran's post - I have a 12 foot 2.5lb t.c. 'Hyperloop' rod that I use for lure fishing. I bought it from a coarse fishing shop in the UK a couple of years ago for about 40 sterling. It casts 1 to about 4 oz. very well. It is a great rod and a pleasure to use.

Peter

Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:44 pm

I bought a 12'6" 2.75 TC Shimano Exage as a light (travelling) beachcaster, and the reviews rated it at up to 3 oz, and I've only used it at that - gets a fair distance too.

Tue Nov 23, 2004 5:12 pm

Thanks for the replies. I reckon from your information my 60 gram spinning rod is 1 1/2 to 2 lbs tc and my 2-4 oz bass rod must be 3lb or over. I caught my first pike (a 5lb jack) to dead bait with all previous pike being caught with spinners.

Donagh

slight OTT

Tue Nov 23, 2004 6:04 pm

Hi Neil (and apologies to Donagh for ambushing his thread)

How do you find the Shimano? I came very close to buying one last year for use in Lanzarote and just books the two weeks this time round so I am very interested. Anyone I have spoken to has eulogised about it....

RSVP

Thu Nov 25, 2004 9:32 pm

Buy it, Kieran. You'll love it.

Fri Nov 26, 2004 8:42 pm

Hi Guys.

As a rule of thumb in the UK, for every pound of TC, the rod will cast 1 oz of lead, ie. 3lb TC casts 3oz lead.Most rods however will go half an ounce over or under this.

Its very similar to working out the right strength of line a rod will handle. Multiply the TC by 4 for the lightest line, 5 for the ideal line, and 6 for the heaviest.

I hope this helps.

Matt

Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:07 am

Great rule of tumb. This really helps

Donagh

Re: slight OTT

Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:27 pm

kieran wrote:Hi Neil (and apologies to Donagh for ambushing his thread)

How do you find the Shimano? I came very close to buying one last year for use in Lanzarote and just books the two weeks this time round so I am very interested. Anyone I have spoken to has eulogised about it....

RSVP

Kieran,

As far as I know, it's the only 12'6" rod that will fit in my suitcase. That aside, it's a joy to use - so light and responsive. I've had eating-size fish (?) to about 2lbs and a ray to about 3lbs from the beach in Brazil (took it to Lanzarote but caught nothing....you need to find a place with deeper water). I use home-molded 3oz Gemini Breakaway sinkers, with a Shimano 6000 baitrunner filled with 30lb braid. Easy to cast it a good way. I take a short section of plastic pipe as a rod holder. The whole outfit is a doddle to take to the beach. I should use it more often back home.

Neil.