The salutory tale of a mail order payment

Tue Nov 16, 2004 11:39 am

I have just purchased a ABU Sports Mag for $147 (incl. delivery) from [url]http://www.jacksonlures.com[/url]. I was absolutely delighted with the deal and I had the reel in my hands witin 10 days. Being reluctant to use my Credit Card on the web I tried to use an O-card, an AIB service that generates a once-off credit card number for a specified spend limit that bills to your main card, for payment. However the vendor couldn't validate this and after several unsuccessful attempts the card expired. This was taking a bit of time and I was getting embarrassed at owing the man money when he had been so helpful. He suggested wiring the money using Western Union.

I agreed and headed to a Western Union agent. I was in for a shock. The payment, which was coming in at EUR117 on the credit card, I checked with the bank centre, now became EUR134 :shock: . Western Union as well as charging a commission of EUR13.80, also used an exchange rate of $1.21 to the euro. This was when the published rate was above $1.29 and the note rate for the previous day was $1.26 .

This is not a gripe agains the Jackson Lures. If I had forwarded him my credit card proper there would have been no problem. It was my first time dealing with them, I was being a bit cautious and given another opportunity I would have giving them the details. I don't really have a gripe with Western Union. If this is what they want to charge, then off with them but I can't see myself using their service again.

What I really want do is to warn other users on this forum of how the payment method they chose can affect the overall price of their mail-order/online purchases. It appears the Credit Card is a very cost effective way of making on-line payments.

After all that, though a little bit sore, I still remain quids in. Speaking to some lads at Cobh on sunday evening they told me they paid EUR175 to a Cork Tackle shop for the same item and had to wait a full month for it :) .

Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:06 pm

Hate to rub salt in your wound but you might have picked one up mail order from the Devon angling centre (Abu mag Elite) for €100... :roll:

Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:25 pm

Cant beat veals for mail order!

Anu Mag Elite

Tue Nov 16, 2004 2:43 pm

€100 euro Luke? I checked the website and they are 95 sterling?

Mail order.

Tue Nov 16, 2004 3:04 pm

must have went up again. Keep an eye on them. they are excellent for Abu stuff. Veals are excellent without a doubt. I use both these companies but go to the Devon Angling centre for Abu as they are usually a little cheaper. Especially on Abu reels. They give good reliable service. Veals are excellent too. Just got an uptide Suveran from them. Took 24 hours delivery! :P

Thu Nov 18, 2004 3:30 pm

Luke,

consider me well salted. I was extremely happy with the EUR117 for the Sports Mag but the point really was the extra cost of wiring money.

Sat Nov 20, 2004 10:49 am

:D You should have used PayPal. Never had any problems using it.

With €1 = $1.29 Time to try the US tackle sites?...............

Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:07 pm

Vendor didn't do PayPal otherwise I would have.