Beach Fixed Spool

Fri Nov 12, 2004 12:33 pm

I'm going to buy the old man a decent fixed spool for his bithday during the week, he's recently retired and has a bit of time on his hands, I know about the Penn surfmaster 70 etc. but I'm looking for something in the €50 - €60 bracket, has anyone got any ideas?

Fri Nov 12, 2004 1:32 pm

Alby,

I'm no expert on Beach reels but I did a bit of research into this at the beginning of the summer. I got some advice from some of the other guys and someone mentioned the Daiwa Jupiter, someone else then said that they had been around for a while and newer reels have more features/bearings etc, this is true, but you will get bargain Jupiters as a consequence. If buying any Daiwa, for beach fishing you would need a 5000 size or bigger, have a look at this jupiter 5000Z (hopefully not sold - 5 available):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 7113105051

Shipping for this reel (26oz) will cost you around $20 to $25 (Get a quote first)

Total price €39 or maybe even less - Bargain

Check out the UK sites, I reckon they will be around £40 + shipping, the Z model has the spare spool and 4 bearings, new Z models don't come up that often on ebay, Great looking reel too:

http://www.daiwa.com/tackle/reels/spin-sw/jz/

At the time I ended up getting two S5500's, the S model has 2 bearings.

Diawa

Fri Nov 12, 2004 6:14 pm

If it is of any use, I have used the Diawa 5000 for three years now. Fairly bullet proof and reliable.
EQ

Fri Nov 12, 2004 7:08 pm

Hi Guys

If you want cheap but reliable, I have been using two Shakespeare Odessa FS reels for a while now. They come with 2 spools, one graphite, and one with an aluminium lip. One spool also comes loaded with quality 25lb line.

They have a fast retrieve, good line lay, and smooth clutch, and two ball bearings. I have not had a problem with the bail arm snapping back over prematurely either. I know Shakespeare ain't the best tackle manufacturer on the market, but if you don't want to spend loads of money for quality stuff, then they make a worthy addition to anyone's tackle box.

Cheers

Matt

Fri Nov 12, 2004 10:26 pm

go to abc in mary st they have some excellent reels in that price range like the new okuma reels which are very reliable and also come with a spare spool.

Re: Beach Fixed Spool

Sun Nov 14, 2004 10:41 am

alby wrote:I'm going to buy the old man a decent fixed spool for his bithday during the week, he's recently retired and has a bit of time on his hands, I know about the Penn surfmaster 70 etc. but I'm looking for something in the €50 - €60 bracket, has anyone got any ideas?

Hi alby, For what it's worth I've sold quite a few of these in the €50 - €60 price range.
Roddy by Penn 395, 230yds @ 30lb.
Jarvis Walker integra 7500 340yds @ 20lb
Jarvis Walker integra 8500 325yds @ 30lb
Okuma corrida BR90 330yds @ 25lb

If you want to go well up market then try the Shimano 6500B 330yds @ 25lb.
The Roddy and the Okuma are bomb proof. The J W's are very flashy
They're all large fixed spool reels. Hope this is of some help to you.

Fixed spool

Sun Nov 14, 2004 12:55 pm

Hi Alby

I have a shimano aerlex 8000 I bought two years ago. I am purchasing a new Diawa fixed spool out fit which means that the aerlex will be put to one side. send me a PM if you are interested

Mon Nov 15, 2004 9:35 pm

Shakespear are a cheap reel but when it comes to getting spare parts for them its a nitemare.I have a shakespear neptune multiplier and will have to wait about 6-8wks to get the spare parts.

Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:31 pm

Instead of going for a chap fixed spool go for a second hand model of something decent .