Flounder Fishing in Lacken

Thu Nov 11, 2004 1:06 pm

Just a question for wexmatchman and Johnwex (same person???). Having never fished Lacken myself, wexmatchman mentioned that there is a ban in place. Is this a angling ban or a self imposed ban on taking fish :?: I agree that there are ignorant people out there that seem to think that everything that is caught has to be killed and put in the black bag. I have seen this is many parts of Ireland and by many local fishermen as well as some "tourists"

Another question, is there any signs telling advising people not to take flounder at a particular time of the year :?: If not it would be a good idea to put some up. You would be amazed at the amount of people out there that regulary fish for Bass but do not know about the legal limits. At least in Dingle, Kerry no one can use this excuse as there are plenty of signs.

I also didn't appreciate the snide remark, just because I happened to misread a post.

Tight lines,

Kev

Thu Nov 11, 2004 1:08 pm

Moderator, can you move this one to Q&A for me please. I posted in the wrong topic.

Kev

Thu Nov 11, 2004 1:58 pm

Re Kevins quote:

I agree that there are ignorant people out there that seem to think that everything that is caught has to be killed and put in the black bag. I have seen this is many parts of Ireland and by many local fishermen as well as some "tourists"

Have to agree with Kev, we've all seen it, boils down to a combination of ignorance, selfishness and greed but mostly ignorance. The important thing to remember when you see this is that the person doing it is an individual and in the minority.
You can't brand his whole county/country/race/whatever for this individuals actions, if you do, you're just as ignorant.

Anyway, A friend of mine has a saying: "If you're going somewhere never pack a gobshite, there's sure to be one there when you arrive" :lol:
How true.

Thu Nov 11, 2004 2:01 pm

Anonymous wrote:Re Kevins quote:

I agree that there are ignorant people out there that seem to think that everything that is caught has to be killed and put in the black bag. I have seen this is many parts of Ireland and by many local fishermen as well as some "tourists"

Have to agree with Kev, we've all seen it, boils down to a combination of ignorance, selfishness and greed but mostly ignorance. The important thing to remember when you see this is that the person doing it is an individual and in the minority.
You can't brand his whole county/country/race/whatever for this individuals actions, if you do, you're just as ignorant.

Anyway, A friend of mine has a saying: "If you're going somewhere never pack a gobshite, there's sure to be one there when you arrive" :lol:
How true.
Basically, no matter where you go you are going to meet people who are only concerned about their own self interest.

Thu Nov 11, 2004 3:52 pm

Anonymous wrote:

How true.

:D Cracking.

Thanks for the support. While most of my sea angling is Bass plugging I do a bit of Pike fishing in the Winter as well. I have to agree, there is a huge amount of people out there that just haven't got a clue. Whenever I am pike fishing and some near me catches a fish I always go over just in case the person is thinking of taking the fish, but more so to give a hand unhooking if I can and maybe take a photo for the person and offer to e-mail it to them. That's why I feel it's critical to sign post as much of the country as we can with local angling guidelines and suggestions. Not everyone is as well versed as they should be.

Kev

Sat Nov 13, 2004 11:03 pm

The fishing ban in the Lacken/Coal Yard area runs for three months December, January and February. Signs are erected each year but they dissapear within a couple of weeks.

Mon Nov 15, 2004 12:28 pm

Just a question Kilmoresac,

Is the fish ban a ban on the taking of fish or a ban on fishing the beach altogether?

Kev

Mon Nov 15, 2004 11:21 pm

Its a ban on fishing altogether.