Spinning Reel Query

Wed Nov 10, 2004 2:35 pm

I have to get get a new spinning reel after an unfortunate accident with the last one which was a Daiwa Jupiter 4500. I was quite happy with it, I used it for Pike fishing and Sea fishing from the shore and leadhead spinning from a boat.
Question is what spinning reel would you guys advise getting as a good all rounder for the type of spinning I tend to do?

Wed Nov 10, 2004 2:37 pm

Sorry, That was me, not logged in.

Wed Nov 10, 2004 2:48 pm

Hi Adrian. I use a Shimano Slade 4000 (front drag) spinning reel for spinning leadheads from the boat and for pike fishing. It's a fantastic little reel. Some may think it's a bit small , but for me, I wouldn't have anything else.
I use it with 6'6" Uglystik triggergrip spin rod (can use it with my little ABU 322 baitcaster) . Great combo. Light as you'll get for Pike and Pollock, but handles them both well. Has taken Pollock to 10lb and Pike to 24lb.

Hope this helps.

Wed Nov 10, 2004 6:43 pm

Having seen Conor (h rocks) in action with that set-up I wouldn't argue against him! He gave the Tory Pollacks a sound chastisement that day... :D

Mind you, I'm still itching to have a go with my latest reel, the Okuma Interceptor 30 BaitFeeder.

Thu Nov 11, 2004 9:41 am

Go for a Shimano Sedona FB reel, costs about 40 sterling. Beautiful looking reel with Shimano's famed quality build and strength.

Thu Nov 11, 2004 10:01 am

Steve,

Would you recommend any particular size?

Conor,

How much does the Slade 4000 tend to cost? I can get a new one for €21.

Thu Nov 11, 2004 2:08 pm

This site says it sells them for £21 , that's the rear drag version. I prefer front drag.

http://www.totalfitnessfl.com/fit/Shima ... _36147.php

I have a 4000 Shimano Slade Rear drag as well but prefer the front drag. Also mine is an older version, bought in Austrailia in 2000 for $70 AUS . It handled, Brim, GT, Flatheads, Grunters etc , no problem.

Gerry, looking forward to next season already ! The piking doesn't compare to a day round Tory !! :(

Thu Nov 11, 2004 2:23 pm

Got a Slade 4000FB from a buy it now option on ebay for $15.50 + airmail shipping at $11, wiorks out at €21, bargain

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 7110095112

Now all I have to do is get a rod, previous one was attached to the reel when it fell off the boat. :(

Thu Nov 11, 2004 2:39 pm

Excellent, you got a PM !

All you need is a big box of 1oz leadheads to go with it ! Now where would you get them !? :wink:

Thu Nov 11, 2004 3:04 pm

Conor,

Funny, I was expecting some in the post but they never arrived :wink:

What's the crack, are you still selling or just supplying the new owners?

Thu Nov 11, 2004 3:07 pm

still making away at them ! was I supposed to send some ?
head's up me ar*e half the time !
I'll send you on a sample selection on supply of your address (again !!) by PM.

Thu Nov 11, 2004 3:13 pm

Conor,

I reckon Paypal should be sending me some as well at this stage. I've replied to your PM, I'll send another with the address.