Rag Season

Sun Nov 07, 2004 7:48 pm

I saw mention in another topic of a closed season for digging Rag. Is this true, if so when does it start-end.

Cheers
Jon

Closed Rag Season

Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:38 pm

There is a closed season for Rag. I am not sure if it's an official thing but you definitely cannot use Rag in club competitions for a few months of the year. Not sure of the exact dates Something like January - March

Closed Season for Ragworm

Mon Nov 15, 2004 8:53 am

I think this ban on using rag in club competitions was introduced some years ago by the Leinster Council of the IFSA, and is designed to protect rag from over-digging during the winter, allowing stocks to recover. I'm not sure of the details, or even whether the ban is still in operation.

The committee of the club of which I am a member recently decided that ragworm would be permitted in club competitions during the winter - when I questioned this I was informed that clubs are free to decide for themselves whether or not to comply with the ban! Can anyone give me the official line on this - as far as I can see any ban under these circumstances is not worth having, since any club observing the ban are simply protecting the worms so they are more plentiful for those not observing the ban!

As usual, some people seem to think that rules only apply to others.

Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:55 pm

Back in wicklow more than 10 years ago there was a spot where I used to dig some huge king rag. I'd always get a few larger than 2 feet. Its now savaged by digging so your lucky to get worms a few inchs long. Is there any sign of farmed worms been sold in Ireland.

Donagh

Mon Nov 15, 2004 2:32 pm

Theres a few shops in Dublin that wont sell them saying the season has closed. Then again, there are other shops that always stock.
Maybe the guys who dig it are of the mindset that they need a decent spell to get the numbers back up.

Tue Nov 16, 2004 11:16 pm

some stuff about ragworms
http://www.stourandorwell.org/enjoy/bai ... ingrag.htm