Which hooks?

Wed Nov 03, 2004 6:33 pm

I was just wondering which hooks people use and which they find most reliable, I use mainly Aberdeen B940's mainly because they are good value to buy in boxes of 100. The Aberdeens are ok but I only ever use them for one session before replacing them, what's the best hook in your opinion both for larger and smaller species.

Wed Nov 03, 2004 6:37 pm

Both Seaniebo and I have used the older Mustad hooks in Viking and Aberdeen patterns, and have found them to be Sh*te! They are very blunt, and brittle.

Now I tend to use Kamasan hooks only in the aberdeen pattern, as well as Cox & Rawle for the bigger sizes. I have also found that the Owner gorilla hooks are not only great catfish hooks, but make fantastic hooks for crab baits.

Cheers

Matt

Wed Nov 03, 2004 7:43 pm

use kamasan a lot myself. they are not always the best opyion though. however owner have some good patterns out. strongly suggest you have a look. try veals. they have some good prices on these hooks.

Thu Nov 04, 2004 9:55 am

Mainly use kamasan Aberdeens but also use Vikings if there are strap conger around as they aren't as springy. Vikings are strong and sharp and are the hook of choice for many people after cod. I don't reuse hooks anymore.

Donagh

Thu Nov 04, 2004 1:49 pm

Most specimen hunters use Varivas in sizes 3/0 - 10/0. Great for Cod pennell rigs.

Sat Dec 04, 2004 8:31 pm

sorry ment to say Varivas not Owner. sorry.

Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:31 pm

yeah i use kamasan abadeen, more for the fish than anything else due to their high corrosion rate, i hate sending a fish off with a hook set deep, at least with the kamasan they corrode within a couple of days, which saves the fish alot of stress,

i have caught fish with steel mustad hooks in them and i'd say it had been there a couple of weeks because the fish didn't look too healthy(half starved more like) i was able to remove the hook and release the fish(doggie) to live a bit longer and healthier...

this is from my own experience.....

hooks

Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:55 pm

I caught a doggie last Sunday that had a steel hook in its mouth. Again it must have been there awhile as the fish had a sore around the area the hook penetrated its mouth. Needless to say I removed it and returned the fish.
I also only use Kasmazan B940 for most general match fishing and do not reuse hooks. I also use the Mustad big bass hooks for bass when using peeler crab as its presents it very well.