Herring on the bash...

Fri Oct 08, 2004 9:17 am

Anyone have any success catchinh Herring from the shore?!?
Was fishing last night for mackerel near Greystones and lost count of the number of them I caught, all about 10-12 inches. The water was boiling with them, no exaggeration!

re

Fri Oct 08, 2004 9:22 am

What where you using as bait?

Fri Oct 08, 2004 9:58 am

Small mackerel feathers...
I think in the space of an hour the weight didn't touch the bottom once, they were grabbing the feathers before I even started reeling in...

Boiling Seas

Fri Oct 08, 2004 2:39 pm

That sounds mad! Never caught a Herring. Think i did once but it was so small i was'nt sure. Where exactly was this? Ed said he saw the same thing happen last week with Mackerel in Greystones. the sea boiling... Little bait fish. Tell me where and i'll grab my rod! :shock:

Fri Oct 08, 2004 2:53 pm

It was on the North Beach about 100yds down from the pier.
It was all mackerel at first, but then the herring took over the place. It was a case of casting out about 20 yards to save the time being wasted in hauling them in from 100 yds out!
I'd say it was a freak occurance though, I fish there most weeks and have never seen herring from the shore before, and definetly haven't seen the water churned up like what it was list night, a mixture of bait fish, herring, mackerel, seagulls and a couple of gannets! To be honest with you I was waiting for the tuna to appear, like in the wildlife programs!

One more thing though, they're not much of a fighter on the road and reel:!: