What's your opinion on telescopic rods?

Mon Sep 27, 2004 6:05 pm

Broke the rod I use for spinning and general beach works at the weekend - too many macks on it! I've been thinking about replacing it with a telescopic and wondered if it was a good thing to do.

I need it for spinning, float fishing etc. I have two good beachcasters - a Suveran Sport Beach and a Shakespear Tornado, so I don't need it to sling big weight.

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks,

Ian

hmm

Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:36 am

generaly there not recomended for beachcasting but i have 2-3 oz telescopic beach caster that is just perfect for mackrell bashing id only spend less than 60 yo on one thow becase of there reputation btw my one cost 35 i bought it oreganaly becase i wanted one for the moped 8)

Tue Sep 28, 2004 8:59 am

Why not go for a rod in several sections instead of a telescopic. The telescopic design will always be completely inferior to a rod of the same value. You may not want to cast a big weight but what happens if your down in Kerry and you get in contact with a decent bass.

Donagh

Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:54 am

Why not buy a bass or carp/pike rod? Perfect for spinning, float fishing and feathering.

Most of the telescopic rods are very floppy and ar prone to breaking ( I know cos I've broken one). You can pick up a decent pike rod for 40 euro in most shops.

If you're looking for something that packs into the boot, take a look at the Fladen travel rods, although these will cost a lot more.

Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:17 pm

Personally I'd go for sections, An 8 ft spinning rod that breaks into 2 sections will do everything you want and will fit across the parcel rack in the car easily enough, that's what I use along with a 12 ft which break into 3 sections.

Tue Sep 28, 2004 1:58 pm

G'day all

I would agree with the lads... telescopic will underperform a travel rod. I was considering investing in a Shimano STC rod (two tip sections and travel bag) for around STG 60 which is excellent value as they have a superb reputation and will cast anything up to 100 grams. They've also beat barracuda in the Canary islands on floating rigs and with bass bullets, which was the idea... the only problem is the airlines getting very angsty about transporting them.

FWIW

Rod

Tue Sep 28, 2004 3:23 pm

Penn V3 beach caster three piece for €100 from veals. Can't say enough good things about these rods. Excellen price, excellent value, excellent performance and very versatile. Brought mine to the states and caught sting ray etc. great casters. breaks down into 4' perfect for boot of car etc. :wink:

Thu Sep 30, 2004 10:02 pm

Agree with the Travelling Vs Telescopic sentiments. If you want handiness of size and portability suitable for a suitcase, check out the Shimano Exage range.

I've seen one (not the spinning model mind you, the 20lb class rod) hoke a 40+ lb cod up from 500 feet of Norwegian Fjord.

'Nuff said. :)

Sun Oct 03, 2004 2:51 pm

Took your advice and bought a bass type rod - Daiwa Vulcan X. Seems to work quite nicely.

Funnily enough, while m.b3 and I were blanking at Howth pier on Saturday :oops: the bloke next to us was giving his tele-beachcaster some abuse as his hooks got stuck into a lobster pot rope. Seconds later, there was a splintering crack and his tele had broken in two - at the butt section! He had another tele with him and that got stuck too. Once again he had the rod bent back over his head with a painful bend in it. We were waiting for the next crack, but he relented in time and decided to pull on the line instead. I think his rod breathed a big sigh of relief!!

Mon Oct 04, 2004 1:38 pm

Luke gave a bit of good advice re caught lines in the past, basically never use the rod to pull the line free. He advised this as it can damage the reel never mind the rod. I've had an FS reel seize from constantly doing this, the D ring for the lock rotated and bit into the shaft so the inside shaft for pushing the spool up and down jammed.

Anyway, get a stick and wrap the line around the end and pull the stick saves breaking your rod and doing hidden damage to your reel.

Mon Oct 04, 2004 3:21 pm

Not only that, if you use your rod & reel to pull out of a snag, the line cuts into the rest of the spool and weakens the line remaining. I wrap it around my arm (over my sleeve) and take the pain - a stick is less painful though. Remember to turn your back on the snag too when pulling free. The snag can sometimes free quickly and the lead/hooks come flying back at you!

rods

Mon Oct 04, 2004 3:43 pm

Daiwa Vulcan X is a good rod. Pat Hicks, an angling buddy of mine uses one and can acheive very good distances with it. Daiwa make very good rods in my opinion, at least my experience so far. Im not an expert on beach rods so i won't rant and rave but from many of the boat rods i've seen Daiwa don't go for that silly screw on butt lark. Can be the death of many a good blank.