South beach Greystones

Mon Sep 27, 2004 5:30 pm

I fished here a few nights ago up at the river near the driving range using 2 and 3 hook flappers. Problem was i seemed to get snagged every cast. Can anyone tell me is this a common occurance at this mark? Should I use single hook patternoster or pulley rigs here with a rotten bottom? Or am I just unlucky :?:

Re: South beach Greystones

Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:20 am

Seaniebo wrote:I fished here a few nights ago up at the river near the driving range using 2 and 3 hook flappers. Problem was i seemed to get snagged every cast. Can anyone tell me is this a common occurance at this mark? Should I use single hook patternoster or pulley rigs here with a rotten bottom? Or am I just unlucky :?:

I normally fish futher down by where the grey shed use to be....I only use 1 hook paternosters and pulley rigs...Mainly pulled rigs thought...

find that using 2 hooks I can get away with it most of the time but 3 hooks seem to get snagged allot...

John

Tue Sep 28, 2004 6:13 pm

John would it be possible to say where this shed used to be! thanks.

Wed Sep 29, 2004 9:10 am

m.b3 wrote:John would it be possible to say where this shed used to be! thanks.

20 minute walk south from the first river.....you'll be on flat concrete slabs with old railway sleepers...

Re: South beach Greystones

Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:39 pm

Seaniebo wrote:I fished here a few nights ago up at the river near the driving range using 2 and 3 hook flappers. Problem was i seemed to get snagged every cast. Can anyone tell me is this a common occurance at this mark? Should I use single hook patternoster or pulley rigs here with a rotten bottom? Or am I just unlucky :?:

I fished there on Monday night, just south of the stream. Got snagged first cast, which reminded me why I moved from there the last time I fished. Moved 20 m north of the stream which was better. I was fishing the incoming tide, but around high tide (why wasn't it slack water?) the current going south was very strong and pulling my rigs into the snags. I was fishing one rod close in, the other about 100m out. The one further out got most of the tidal pull - 5 oz grip weights didn't hold at all. I have to say that the area seemed snaggier than before. My 525 mag was loaded with 15lb line and I lost shock leader and all. The other FS reel had 15lb line on one spool (lost everthing as well), but the spare spool had 25lb line which I managed to keep retrieveing by a steady pull which straightened out the Aberdeens. FS Spools definitely have the advantage in this situation and esp. at night.

By the way, amongst the several doggies, I caught what seemed to be a baby ling, and two codling, the biggest being 2lbs! (my biggest codling ever). I lost two fish, one of which was a non-doggy bite, because of being snagged.