is there any where you can catch cod off the west cost

Sun Sep 19, 2004 5:16 pm

ie beach casting

Cod off the west coast.

Sun Sep 19, 2004 7:59 pm

I heard of cod caught in Foynes and Glin during the winter and also castle point near Kilkee using large fish and squid baits.
The fish in Foynes were caught on fresh peeler and someone told me Glin can produce Cod around March on fresh peeler.

Mon Sep 20, 2004 9:28 am

I was told my a local in foynes that a northerly wind bring the cod to the pier. I think its spring time and peeler that are the baits but I don't know where I got that from.

Donagh

Mon Sep 20, 2004 9:59 am

The Only time I seem to contact Cod in the Northeast is when its been blowing a Hooly and the water is well Coloured, It also seems to help if its been one of those days you've looked at the pier and the Waves have been coming over the back.... and you're questioning your sanity.... I know that sounds like a likely tale, But where I am at least the rough weather seems to encourage them to come in Closer, If its flat calm I usually have to belt one out towards scotland to be in with any hope of a Cod.

west cod

Wed Sep 22, 2004 5:28 pm

humm i hope you like night fishin..

its very rare you get decent size cod in the galway bay... and any at all closer than spiddle.. but with the water getting cleaner (you know what i mean) they might come in a bit closer... ever try off the back of inismore there's big cod there..

i've ever caught cod mid janruary night fishing using crab and squid (nothing else seems to work) on any beach that faces the atlantic..

even though i've heard they've been caught off black head using the same baits..

ps do i know you?? (i'm the one with the yellow jacket)