directions to tawin iland and Ballynacourty

Sun Sep 19, 2004 10:41 am

could some one please give me directions as to were to fish on these marks

Sun Sep 19, 2004 10:54 am

Hi Guest

Do you mean the Ballynacourty in Waterford?

Assuming you do, drive to the pier and park there - next to the large social club. It is well lit and reasonably safe. There is a path up at the head of the pier onto the rocks and sand dunes behind on the seaward side, next to the golf club. The main channel comes closer to the shore here rather than off the pier. It is marked by buoys. I have always found it fishing best at or in darkness and on a flood tide, from half way up to the turn, although I have not fished it in a long time. Peeler crab is the ideal bait if you are targetting the bass, although flounder will happily accept them and there are a few dogfish around from time to time. Cocktails with a decent scent will also work - I've used frozen mackerel and lugworm in the past with some success. They say you can spin or plug for the Bass as well from the rocks.

I would also point out that there are strong reports from lots of southern marks, ranging from Wexford to Kerry of very early Codling to decent sizes. This normally means a good season is in the offing, in which case I would dig out squid and lugworm cocktails to tempt them in...

HTH

sory about that

Sun Sep 19, 2004 1:38 pm

sory about that i should have said oranmore Galway but thank you any way for your reply

Wed Sep 22, 2004 5:39 pm

now this is going from memory...

to tawin.. go ou to renville and instead of turning off to maree (where the yachts are) keep going straight on, i think you take second left(not sure) and even then you can only go so far, there is a gate with road tracks(not exacty road) walk less than ahalf mile and fish the south of there...
120 yrds there be small tope 20-35 lbs this time of year.

best thing is to get an ordinance survey map (they have them in easons)

Wed Sep 22, 2004 5:40 pm

now this is going from memory...

to tawin.. go ou to renville and instead of turning off to maree (where the yachts are) keep going straight on, i think you take second left(not sure) and even then you can only go so far, there is a gate with road tracks(not exacty road) walk less than ahalf mile and fish the south of there...
120 yrds there be small tope 20-35 lbs this time of year.

best thing is to get an ordinance survey map (they have them in easons)