leads in silt

Thu Sep 16, 2004 10:34 am

When fishing foynes I find that silty conditions mean a grip lead won't always hold. Would it be worth trying out big watch leads?

Donagh

silty conditions

Thu Sep 16, 2004 10:47 am

Donagh,how you doing m8,have you tried casting yopur lead uptide and letting plenty of slack out as though you were uptiding from a boat this sometime helps especially if there is a good tide run on sheers m8ty Rod.

Thu Sep 16, 2004 11:03 am

I can do that from the pier in foynes but not from the mark mark to the west I've been trying out due to a marina either side of me. But my problem occurs when the lead has touched the floor. Even when theres no tide run if I pull the line anyway tight it will eventually go slack from the lead been pulled in. If I cast out farther the silt isn't as bad and I don't have this issue.

Donagh

leads in silt

Sun Sep 19, 2004 7:53 pm

Hi Donagh,Sorry do long in re answering but being at sea so often dont always give me chance to be on the puter or fishin for that matter damn why cant someone be kind and leave me a fortune ha ha ha , okay have you heard of breakaway tackle ipswich suffolk u.k they produce a plastic grip lead that is designed to give extra holding power, you attach this to your rig body then put on your lead below that it comes complete with the clips moulded onto the plastic lead I find these remarkable when trying to hold in soft conditions m8 give em a whirl if you can get hold of em and they dont add any extra weight try em mat cheers Rod.