Storm incoming

Shore angling - everything welcome! The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals and we accept no responsibility or liability.

Moderator: donal domeney

Storm incoming

Postby Teegerstk » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:42 pm

Hey all, have been hearing a lot about this Storm Lorenzo that apparently has a trajectory through Ireland. Does such an event make for decent fishing after the storm? Or is it the opposite? Would it influence the cod? Just thinking out loud (or onto a keyboard I suppose).

Thanks in advance
2019 species: codling, whiting, flounder, dab, dogfish, spurdog, sole, smooth hound, bass
2020 species: codling, dab, whiting, flounder, dogfish, turbot, smooth hound, bass
2021 species: flounder, black goby, dogfish, smooth hound
2022 species: dogfish, smooth hound
2023 species: flounder
2024 species: dab
Teegerstk
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 226 times

Re: Storm incoming

Postby kieran » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:30 pm

Good question

Storms tend to drive fish offshore, for example bass don't like lots of freshwater and smaller fish dont like getting knocked about, but in the aftermath, if there is lots of food thrown up around beaches and shores, it can bring fish in on the feed. I remember fishing Greystones donkeys years ago after a bit autumnal blow and catching nothing on prime live rag worm. Looked at my feet, tons of blue mussels, opened a few and stuck them on the hook and bingo, a procession of fish followed. So it can cut both ways. The size of the swellls the day before or after can also have an influence. The amount of find sediment in the water impacts on sight based predators like bass and sea trout. A day or two after a storm can often be excellent.... but there's another one sweeping in behind Lozenzo. It might just be that the weekend is about fixing that reel, tying a few traces, pouring some old flashing into leads and such like...

Anyone else got any tips for fishing before or after a storm?
kieran
Site Admin/Owner

Have thanks: 445 times
Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby ardinn » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:27 am

I started an article on Barometric pressure and its influences on fish, but its still in the works a yea later (you can read https://slaneyfishing.com/barometric-pressure-fishy-myth-untapped-resource/ here)

A fast falling barometer can be excellent, with fish feeding up as they feel the low pressure coming in, they do not know the length of time the storm will last so stuff themselves and go to cover. However with all the rain, freshwater will have pushed them out so its hard to know.

Just go fishing and see :D
ardinn
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 110 times

Postby Patkansvk » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:26 pm

Hi. Been out fishing evening just after Lorenzo passed and wind calm down a bit... I've been using fresh peeler which only caught small bass and a week old lugs,smelly as hell which caught me two nice chunky bass,65 cm and 60 cm.. Fishing was very fast, there was a nice surf running, almost every cast there was a bass there... So all in all thanks Lorenzo haha.

For this message the author Patkansvk has received thanks:
corbyeire (Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:59 pm)
Patkansvk
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 2 times

Return to Shore Angling Q&A / Forum