Conger Around Wexford/Waterford Estuary

Shore angling - everything welcome! The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals and we accept no responsibility or liability.

Moderator: donal domeney

Conger Around Wexford/Waterford Estuary

Postby Teegerstk » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:46 pm

Hey all, haven't been out in a while and I'm looking to add a new species to my list: the conger eel. I mostly fish around the Waterford Estuary eg. Passage East and also down by Hook Head. Has anyone heard of congers being caught around here and if so what tactics would prove to be successful? PM if needed.
Thanks in advance.
2019 species: codling, whiting, flounder, dab, dogfish, spurdog, sole, smooth hound, bass
2020 species: codling, dab, whiting, flounder, dogfish, turbot, smooth hound, bass
2021 species: flounder, black goby, dogfish, smooth hound
2022 species: dogfish, smooth hound
2023 species: flounder
2024 species: dab
Teegerstk
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 226 times

Re: Conger Around Wexford/Waterford Estuary

Postby Woulfec » Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:27 pm

Over rough/rocky ground generally. They also love old piers that where the water doesn't go dry, they live in holes in the wall. Night fishing proves best.

Makeral is best bait and especially the head due to lots of blood, and another tip is to cut the gills before casting out as this will release even more blood too. A steel trace with at least a 6/0 hook or else 100lb+ of mono. They can get huge 40lb+ so also 60 to 80lb shock leader to land them.

Be careful handling them. Lethal sharp teeth.

They are relatively easy to be caught so with a little persistence you will fulfill your goal.

Also there is a YouTube channel TOTALLY AWESOME FISHING and they have a couple conger eel episodes. They are great shows with great tips on nearly any fish type.

Enjoy
Woulfec
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 54 times

Postby Woulfec » Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:30 pm

These are just my experience with them there's loads of lads on this with way more than I have that'll help you. If you look in past forums and type on piers around you I'm sure something will avail
Woulfec
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 54 times

Postby Teegerstk » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:05 pm

Woulfec wrote:These are just my experience with them there's loads of lads on this with way more than I have that'll help you. If you look in past forums and type on piers around you I'm sure something will avail

Thanks man, I appreciate it. I've been watching those videos for years they really are great. I definitely need to get myself some tackle like that.
2019 species: codling, whiting, flounder, dab, dogfish, spurdog, sole, smooth hound, bass
2020 species: codling, dab, whiting, flounder, dogfish, turbot, smooth hound, bass
Teegerstk
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby Rod Tips » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:03 pm

If you are down near the hook , stop off at Churchtown, there's an old church ruins on your right just a short drive after you have turned onto the hook peninsula via that mini roundabout. You can park at the church then a five minute walk down a rough trail/ dirt road for around five minutes. There are rock platforms there, you will need to do a reccy down before your session if you aren't familiar with the area, big waves etc, I have only caught straps there but there seems to be plenty there in summer.Also good spot for 5 bearded rockling, wrasse and more
Rod Tips
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 98 times

Postby Teegerstk » Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:28 pm

Rod Tips wrote:If you are down near the hook , stop off at Churchtown, there's an old church ruins on your right just a short drive after you have turned onto the hook peninsula via that mini roundabout. You can park at the church then a five minute walk down a rough trail/ dirt road for around five minutes. There are rock platforms there, you will need to do a reccy down before your session if you aren't familiar with the area, big waves etc, I have only caught straps there but there seems to be plenty there in summer.Also good spot for 5 bearded rockling, wrasse and more

Thanks a lot, I appreciate it. Now that I think of it, a local bait digger told me about this mark. There's a name for it too which I can't recall. He said bass and smoothies were also caught from there. Is the ground rough?
Thanks for the help.
Teegerstk
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby Rod Tips » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:47 pm

In close you have to negotiate the rock outcrops and the swell, there is plenty of kelp zand seaweed swirling about, and many areas of clean sandy ground within casting range. I can't say what the best tides are for producing fish, but in terms of comfort ,safety nd the piece of mind I've only fished it at high-water down 3 hours or last hour down and 2 up as I'm not fully confident in the area even though I've done a couple of night shifts there, if the fish are feeding its easy to forget to move because you get caught up with fishing.
Rod Tips
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 98 times

Postby sea serpant » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:19 pm

Rosslare harbour worth looking at
sea serpant
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 125 times
Blog: View Blog (1)

Return to Shore Angling Q&A / Forum