Monkstown 25th january

Permanent Linkby fishy1987 on Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:37 pm

People: Me

Duration: 6.30pm till 8.30pm

Tide: high at 9.30ish

Weather: calm/cold with the a few showers

Bait: 3 fresh Razors
Rigs: 5/0 and 3/0 pennel

Results: 4 Whoppers of Codling (for me) smallest being close to lb1/4 largest being 2.2lb length 45cm by my cheap scales (first time I’ve had the pleasure of using it) :D

:D Finally the fishing gods gave me a catch to remember for a long time to come. 4Codling not to be sniggered at compared to my usual 6-9inch codling swinging off my 3/0 packed with plentiful lug/Razor .Well this was different I have fished Monkstown a lot this month and last and I’ve had little luck with getting any decent codling! I could live my life eating the crabs I’ve hauled out of Monkstown on my double rigs (bait stripping sidestepping scum of the sea)

A buddy of mine was off fishing and he was kind enough to give me a bag of large juicy razors he collected recently (delighted) Man United clashed with my plans= so a compromise of sorts. Transistor radio it was and a dash to the bus station for a short session in Monkstown Pier(less snags), using big baits on big hooks(New Tactic), bringing only 3 of the precious razors with me.

It looked like I had the pier to myself as I set up! not for long 3 lads came shortly after with lug/peelers (experienced anglers)"bolox" my first cast into the channel?(hardly I have given up on that a long time ago)ill settle for a old man 40/50 yard lob out there somewhere and save the leads. I wont tarnish my memories by thinking of the shock leader knot jamming twice YUCK! Got my act together, 5/0 pennel with a hearty dinner on it for the incoming flood of cod!

I had barley turned my head when a massive whack down on my rod tip grabbed all my attention! First I thought the tide was coming in strong like it often has done. But it wasn’t the current the repeated hard Nods definitely indicated “fish on”. Struck and reeled in half of me thought I was going for a record crab maybe a lobster until I saw the flash of silver. Heart in my mouth moment I thought this beast was a conger. I worked my way down to the steps on the pier to meet my catch YES a fish and a mighty belter he was. Cautiously wrapping the line over my wrist and gingerly getting this 2.2lb codling to safe ground (if I were to have lost this fish) I would have jumped in after him and let the congers have a banquet!
Luckily it was to be my time to shine 3 more beauty’s followed and I went home with a bag of fillets. DELIRIA
ImageImageImageImage
So 4 excellent fish on 2 razors 1 not used. The other 3 anglers didn’t get a bite all night on their peelers. What does this prove?

1.You don’t have to cast into the channel in Monkstown for fish
2.There is hope for us all persistence and hopefully you’ll get the luck
3.Bigger hooks and baits just might be the trick

If fishing works on averages I won’t be getting a bite for another few months but I dam sure will be trying

A lot of PB,s Codling 2.2lb ,1.75 ,1.5 ,close to 1.25 and longest 45cm,

HAPPYDAYS
Last edited by fishy1987 on Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Species 2011 (25) :Cod 80 , Whiting 50 , Coalfish 42 , Sea Scorpion 6(3shortspined/3longspined) , (3b)Rockling 2 , Dogfish 72 , Flounder 32 , Bass 2 , Poor Cod 16 , Dab 16 , Ballen Wrasse 2 , Turbot 1 , Tompot Blenny 3 , Smoothhound 1 , Tub Gurnard 1 , Mackeral 78 , Pollock 10 , Corkwing wrasse 2 , Black Goby 5 , Pouting 4 , Cuckoo Wrasse 1 , Ling 1 , Conger eel 6 , Silver eel 1 , ( Year End 31st October )
2 Comments Viewed 2021 times
Comments

Re: Monkstown 25th january

Permanent Linkby tomgrey on Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:37 pm

Well done Fishy, Nice few Codling there! It has been a while since I had some that size. Keep it up and i'm sure you'll keep reeling in the biggies!
Species 2012:

Cod, Whiting, flounder, coalfish, bass, pollack, sea trout, poor cod, pouting, dogfish, sea scorpion, 3 bearded rockling, blonde ray, painted ray, turbot.
tomgrey
SAI Hammerhead

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Monkstown 25th january

Permanent Linkby fishy1987 on Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:59 pm

cheers tom never saw your post:)im definetly blonde when it comes to this website!lol
Species 2011 (25) :Cod 80 , Whiting 50 , Coalfish 42 , Sea Scorpion 6(3shortspined/3longspined) , (3b)Rockling 2 , Dogfish 72 , Flounder 32 , Bass 2 , Poor Cod 16 , Dab 16 , Ballen Wrasse 2 , Turbot 1 , Tompot Blenny 3 , Smoothhound 1 , Tub Gurnard 1 , Mackeral 78 , Pollock 10 , Corkwing wrasse 2 , Black Goby 5 , Pouting 4 , Cuckoo Wrasse 1 , Ling 1 , Conger eel 6 , Silver eel 1 , ( Year End 31st October )
USER_AVATAR
fishy1987
SAI Sea Dog!

Blog: View Blog (1)