Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:43 pm

+ January 2012
+ December 2011
+ November 2011
Search Blogs

Feed

Wrasse Fishing at its Best...

Permanent Linkby Martin Mc Gowan on Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:43 pm

As I opened my eyes at 8am on a Sunday morning I was pleasantly surprised to see the sun gloriously peeping through the window. A sun-filled day inIreland- what are the odds! I cannot let this go to waste. Like they say “the two best times to fish is when it’s raining’ and when it isn’t!” Instantly I was on the blower to a good mate (John O Connor) to find out if he was available, luckily he was. I informed him it was a spot of rock fishing I had in mind, and I did not have to do much convincing! John made another ‘influential’ phone call to James O Shea, and ten minutes later we had our plans finalised – A day of rock fishing it was.

I wolfed down an Irish breakfast (courtesy of my good wife); got my rod and gear together and headed to our arranged meeting point, there we packed up the car and continued on to our destination. James suggested we try a new mark he spotted whilst fishing one day, and we gladly agreed – new fishing marks always prove exciting an...

[ Continued ]

0 Comments Viewed 801 times

Team Ullcatch Target Ballybunion Beach

Permanent Linkby Martin Mc Gowan on Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:21 pm

Ballybunion beach was the next stop for “Team Ullcatch” the beach had been producing big bass and lots of them for the past few months. Bass to fifteen pounds were caught on the beach in 2011, so this beach had to be worth a go, to see what was around. As we arrived at the main car park we could hear the roar of the surf some eight hundred yards away, as we got to the beach there was massive surf running some two hundred yards out to sea.

With such surf on, most anglers would think it would be insanity to try and fish in such conditions. Maybe the Ullcatch boys are a little bit mad so of course we had to give it a go. The first casts went out into the roaring surf and the traces held bottom quite good, so it was game on. Fifteen minutes later as we reeled in our traces, only to find out we were stuck on the bottom, what’s going on here we said! (this is a lovely sandy beach). We managed to get one trace back from the first casts. A swift change to heaver line was made by all of us an...

[ Continued ]

0 Comments Viewed 883 times

Winter Painted Ray

Permanent Linkby Martin Mc Gowan on Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:52 pm

Team Ullcatch, were out again during the week, and this time we were fishing in the beautiful Brandon Bay in Kerry. The game plan was to see if there was any painted ray around. The rays usually disappear in October, but due to the soft weather we thought it was still worth a shot. Painted ray are a great fish to catch in the surf, they give a tremendous fight, using those wings to glide in and out of the surf.

On a mild but stormy night we started our session, using sand-eel as the main bait. If there was ray around, this bait would do the job. It did not take long for our first bite of the night, when Eugene’s line was stripped from his reel. Eugene knew he was onto a good fish, and followed the fish two hundred yards down the beach with the fish dragging him assisted by the wind. To his shock he spotted a lovely bass of around five pounds and just below the bass was a fantastic painted ray. This was a dream start, but trying to land the two fish would not b...

[ Continued ]

0 Comments Viewed 843 times

Codling Adventure in Cork

Permanent Linkby Martin Mc Gowan on Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:50 pm

Us Ullcatch boys along with guest anglers Aidan O Sullivan and John Sheehan made our way to Cork, after reports from local Cork anglers suggested large numbers of codling and cod weighing up to ten pounds being caught.

Leaving Kerry in the pouring rain, we headed off on our adventure. The weather forecast was for storm force seven winds and flooding, but this only added to the excitement. The game plan was to leave Kerry at six am in order to avoid the traffic around Cork city. However, two hours later we were caught in traffic, what a great start! After an hour sitting in traffic we finally arrived at our destination. The rain was bucketing down, the wind was howling and the thoughts of getting out of a warm dry car were none too pleasing. Anglers are a tough breed though so out we got, but before we changed into out rain gear we were already soaked to the skin. Things could only get better!

The first casts went out and we were finally fishing. Aidan’s rod doubled over straight away a...

[ Continued ]

0 Comments Viewed 830 times

Bass Galore

Permanent Linkby Martin Mc Gowan on Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:51 am

Bass Galore.

As Martin and I (Eugene), both from Team Ullcatch, along with writer and top bass angler Bob Moss arrived on Inch beach in Kerry we admired the perfect conditions. The sun was shining down on us, a very rare thing these days and there was the ideal surf running. Inch beach is an angler’s paradise with five miles of beautiful coast line to fish from. With the Brandon Mountains behind us and casting into Dingle bay, life couldn’t have been any better.

My first cast produced a lovely flounder of about thirty centimetres. This was to be the start of a great days fishing. It wasn’t long before the first bass of the day came along, a fish of about three pounds. The flounder were gobbling down the big bass baits like fish possessed. The bass were winning the battle though. At nearly every cast the three of us were catching bass and flounder. Most of the bass were between two and three pounds in weight.

Two hours later and we had caught twelve bass and n...

[ Continued ]

0 Comments Viewed 906 times