Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:43 pm

+ January 2012
+ December 2011
+ November 2011
Search Blogs

Bass Galore

Permanent Linkby Martin Mc Gowan on Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:51 am

Bass Galore.

As Martin and I (Eugene), both from Team Ullcatch, along with writer and top bass angler Bob Moss arrived on Inch beach in Kerry we admired the perfect conditions. The sun was shining down on us, a very rare thing these days and there was the ideal surf running. Inch beach is an angler’s paradise with five miles of beautiful coast line to fish from. With the Brandon Mountains behind us and casting into Dingle bay, life couldn’t have been any better.

My first cast produced a lovely flounder of about thirty centimetres. This was to be the start of a great days fishing. It wasn’t long before the first bass of the day came along, a fish of about three pounds. The flounder were gobbling down the big bass baits like fish possessed. The bass were winning the battle though. At nearly every cast the three of us were catching bass and flounder. Most of the bass were between two and three pounds in weight.

Two hours later and we had caught twelve bass and nine flounder, and with huge smiles we knew we were in the zone. As the saying goes: It was a bit like taking sweets from a baby! The fish were all over the place, from twenty yards to a hundred yards, we just kept on catching. Bob Moss is a real hands-on angler, one who prefers to stand in the surf when fishing. This is a great way of avoiding the questions from interested passers by! The Ullcatch boys were on the beach doing their usual match angling, busy as two little bees. The fish just kept on coming and it was starting to get a bit like hard work.
When fishing is this good it is very hard leave it behind, even when the Sunday roast is waiting. However Bob’s tummy told a different story, after we said our goodbyes he left for home in Dingle.

Martin and I looked at each other and decided to continue on casting, so we did, again and again and again. The only problem: dusk was creeping in fast. We did not plan to fish this late, but the bass just kept on coming. Then darkness started to take hold, but we couldn’t stop fishing, it was a bit like a dog and a bone. Using mobile phones to try and see what we were doing, it was nearly impossible to fish. However, as I reeled in a double bass of around three pounds, I couldn’t help but cast another into the night sky.

We finally decided that this was to be the last cast. Our hands were now cut and bleeding from unhooking those lovely bass. It was time to reel in and go home. As Martin reeled in another bass and I another double shot of bass, our hands told their own story.
At present, Inch in Kerry has the best bass fishing in Europe. Long may it long continue! We finished up catching twenty seven bass up to four pounds in weight and over twenty flounder up to a pound and half in weight. What a great day.
Until next time,

Martin & Eugene

Basstastic.

All about angling
0 Comments Viewed 907 times