Wrasse Fishing at its Best...
   Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:43 pm

+ January 2012
+ December 2011
+ November 2011
Search Blogs

Wrasse Fishing at its Best...

Permanent Linkby Martin Mc Gowan on Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:43 pm

As I opened my eyes at 8am on a Sunday morning I was pleasantly surprised to see the sun gloriously peeping through the window. A sun-filled day inIreland- what are the odds! I cannot let this go to waste. Like they say “the two best times to fish is when it’s raining’ and when it isn’t!” Instantly I was on the blower to a good mate (John O Connor) to find out if he was available, luckily he was. I informed him it was a spot of rock fishing I had in mind, and I did not have to do much convincing! John made another ‘influential’ phone call to James O Shea, and ten minutes later we had our plans finalised – A day of rock fishing it was.

I wolfed down an Irish breakfast (courtesy of my good wife); got my rod and gear together and headed to our arranged meeting point, there we packed up the car and continued on to our destination. James suggested we try a new mark he spotted whilst fishing one day, and we gladly agreed – new fishing marks always prove exciting and can lead to a rewarding day of fishing.

We arrived after a 15 minute drive and wasted no time putting on our back-packs, grabbing our rods and making our slow descent to the rocks below. (A few words of advice for any novice angler who is fishing new ground: always eye up any dangers such as swell, wind direction, waves and ease of access to the rocks). It was our first time in the area and we found the climb down was not for the faint hearted, nonetheless we made it down safe and sound.

As we took in our surroundings ‘amazing’ was one word that quickly sprung to mind! The waters were crystal clear and a lovely ledge ran across the front of us – yes this was shaping up to be a good day. As we chatted amongst ourselves ‘Wrasse’ and ‘Pollock’ were the hot topics, and so we began the task of setting up. I was using a Berkley Phazer ll rod, an Okuma Tiro 40s spinning reel loaded with braid and a 5” crystal shad on aTexasrig. These were obviously the right choices; we were landing fish from the second cast. John had the first catch; a Pollock, James was next to land a fish, a nicely coloured Ballan Wrasse. At the same time I landed a nice Wrasse very differently coloured, this called for the camera.

The largest of the Wrasse family the Ballan can show a bewildering range of colouration from lime green, through various shades of brown, to dark purple with white spots.

We were happy to say the least and never looked back from the first cast. We were landing fish after fish, and the great conditions were just adding to the experience. At the end of the day John and James were both using soft plastic lures and the fish were practically jumping at them.

The Wrasse were hitting the soft plastics like a bullet exiting a gun. They were doing so with such force it would send shivers up your back and an instant rush to your head. It was simply un-be-live-able!

Fishing using soft plastics on aTexasrig offers the angler so many more options as to where s/he can fish. On this particular day we were lucky to fish in caves, over rocks, along the sea bed and we even picked up a spider-crab along the way. At one stage we just stood and watched in silence as the Wrasse followed the lures up to the surface and smacked into them right in front of us.

It was a perfect fishing trip and this was evident in the whopping 46 fish caught throughout the day. As the old saying goes “There is certainly something in fishing that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.” I couldn’t agree more!

All about angling
0 Comments Viewed 801 times