Shore fishing comps

Shore angling - everything welcome! The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals and we accept no responsibility or liability.

Moderator: donal domeney

Shore fishing comps

Postby ardinn » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:59 pm

So whats the deal with shore competitions?

I want to get into it but dont have a clue what way it works - is there specific rules etc.

If I rocked up with my continental rod and lashed out a 3 hook flapper would I get funny looks??

Is there any difference whatsoever other than your catches are recorded??

Thanks
ardinn
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 110 times

Re: Shore fishing comps

Postby Roryk11 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:16 am

Yeh find a club and join I joined one seems to be a match every month 3 hook flappers would actually be the prime suspect or 3hook clip down rigs learned a lot from some of the lads and a great social day for all things fishy related that normal people just don't get some clubs have different rules most record the length of the fish get it signed by an angler nxt to you in bigger comps you may need 2 signatures any fish under 18cm gets 5 points any fish over gets its value ie 25cm flounder 25points dogfish are usualy set points at 50points but
Roryk11
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 10 times

Postby ardinn » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:42 am

Thanks Rory

What are the rules like - anything not allowed - like in golf some clubs are illegal etc!

Probably should join a club but Im in hotels so never have a weekend off so it'd be wasted on me!

In saying that im thinking of entering the winter shore festival - I know those beaches like the back of my hand and have a place to stay close by - would be a great learning experience i think!

Probably like jumping into the fire but sure what about it!
ardinn
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 110 times

Postby Roryk11 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:51 am

You can use any type of rod I go conti on light whether when I can but one rod only in most comps if you have a second rod line and clip may be on but not a rig rigs have a max of 3 hooks be aware some competitions have bait bans at certain times of the year not 100% about the winter festival ever fished it but would love to fish it myself hopefully someone can provide more info on it
Roryk11
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 10 times

Postby DavidLynch » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:32 pm

best bet is to join a local club and go along to mettings and get to know the members they will all help you along with what you want to know and get you a copy of the ifsa rules and sizes.most people are more than willing to help a new member out as they have been there themselves.gp along to a few matches and watch whats going on and the traces being used is another way of learning.
DavidLynch
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby donal domeney » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:29 am

These are some of the general rules you may expect to find at a competition. Some clubs will differ.

Basic Shore Rules.docx
(16.53 KiB) Downloaded 26 times

1. Anglers must fish from their allocated pegs. The angler will draw his peg number when paying his/her entry
2. The competition will be run on a catch and return basis.
3. A maximum of 3 single or 1 treble hook(s) may be used.
4. Wading is permitted to the KNEE only. Anglers must return to the waters edge on completion of the task.
5. All other fish over 15/18 cm are eligible for measuring and recording. Fish are measured down 23.5cm fish is recorded as 23cm
6. The scoring system will be 5 points per + 1 point per cm.
40 points per Lesser spotted Dogfish (LSD), eels from 20-40cm will be awarded 30 points, eels 41cm and over will be awarded 60 points and 1 point per whole centimetre for all other species. These size/points rule will differ in some clubs.
7. The first 1 or 2 LSD are to be measured to decide the winner in the event of a tie. See club rules
8. All fish, including rays, are to be measured from tip of snout to tip of tail. Salmon, Sea Trout, Mackerel, Sand eels are NOT eligible.
9. Fish are to be measured and released as carefully and quickly as possible. All fish must be measured (using an approved measure) and released prior to retrieving the next cast.
10. The fish must be measured by one angler on either side, recorded on the scorecard or the sheet verified by the signature of a witnessing angler. Fish will be immediately released or if the angler wishes to keep the fish it will be dispatched quickly and humanely using a priest. At the end of the competition both the angler and the witness must sign below the last fish and WRITE the total number of fish caught.
11. It is the responsibility of each competitor to ensure that fish meet the minimum size limits. Undersize fish are eligible if stated on rules card. Anglers taking fish for culinary use must ensure they meet the IFSA minimum sizes for retention. See IFSA rules in Diary.
Some clubs will allow 5 undersize fish giving a fixed 10 points per fish
12. Fish retained for culinary use must have the tail cut from the fish immediately post measuring.
13. Each angler is responsible for providing approved measures.
14. Dead fish will NOT be accepted for measuring.
15. Unsigned scorecards will NOT be accepted.
16. All scorecards must be returned to the committee after lines-up
17. Any complaints/objections must be made in writing, signed and be handed to the “Officer of the Day” Final decisions are to be made by the Organising committee
18. Rods and reels may be made up; BUT ONLY ONE rod may be complete with terminal tackle at any one time.
19. Anglers are requested to respect the environment and take ALL rubbish home.
20. Angler is requested to behave responsibly and bear safety in mind at ALL times.
21. The decision of the organising committee is final.

this is an old score card but it will give you an idea of what to expect.
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (44.02 KiB) Viewed 292 times
Boat species '15 (31) Shore species (21) Total species 40 Specimen: (B) Bluemouth .92kg,(B) Spotted ray 6lb,(S) Painted ray 12.4lb
Boat species '16 (30) Shore species (17) Total species 36
Boat species '17 (35) Shore species (22) Total species 37 Specimen: (B) Bluemouth, (S) Flounder

For this message the author donal domeney has received thanks: 2
EddieK (Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:28 pm), mickser (Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:14 am)
donal domeney
Head of International Security and Bringer of World Peace

Have thanks: 1248 times

Return to Shore Angling Q&A / Forum