A few days in Mayo coming up.

Shore angling - everything welcome! The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals and we accept no responsibility or liability.

Moderator: donal domeney

A few days in Mayo coming up.

Postby bogwoppit » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:45 am

Hi all,

I'm salmon fishing in Mayo in a couple of weeks and with the weather the way it has been I plan to have the heavy rods in the car as a backup.

I've never really fished the west coast apart from spinning for pollock but I'm hoping to do a bit of bait fishing this time.

I'll be limited with the bait I have, probably frozen sandeel and lug, I don't think there's any suppliers where I'm going, ballycroy just south of Bangor erris.

Just looking for a few pointers for the area if anyone knows it.

Thanks

Al
bogwoppit
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 28 times

Re: A few days in Mayo coming up.

Postby kieran » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:36 pm

Hi Bogwoppit

Check the reports from Sean and Joe here, although they are mostly Clew Bay lads...

You have sea trout and flats in the estuaries and on the beaches near you. There used to be mullet available over low water - had them on lug before, great sporting fish but need a small hook and they give "finicky" a new meaning. The beaches near Doohoma Head near the small golf course are quite decent on a coming tide - mostly flats.

You probably need to hit northern end of Belmullet if you want something different. Plenty of good rock marks there - easiest would be the old harbour at Glenlara. Great wrasse fishing so long as the stream is not in spate. You fish from the headland above the small harbour, on the OTHER side, straight down. Crab picks out big fish. Not sure where you are living but you can buy frozen crab in the Asian markets in Dublin (sadly not stocked in Castlebar) and I know from experience that it works just fine.

Right down the far end of Belmullet, you have the flat rocks past the lighthouse. Was out over this in a boat a few months back and staggered to find a patch of sand right in the middle of it. Good depth of water too - probably be your best bet in terms of trying to get different species, but the weed will be snaggy. Big kelp beds. might be a bit far to drive, not sure what you are looking for. The beaches on the west side of Belmullet are routinely trawled and not worth wetting a line. The beaches on the east side are not and hold decent stocks of flatfish and I have seen photos from Tim O'Sullivan of absolutely massive sea trout he promised me came out of Elly Bay...

It's entirely possible but then we're not all ex-world champions. ;0)

The last place I'd recommend that fairly close is Rinroe / Rossport. The river channel at Rossport can hold mackerel at low and high water this time of year, they tend to get trapped there. It's also good for sea trout but you have to fight the otters for them! You can dig lug and especially black lug on Rinroe at low water if you get stuck for bait. The beach itself is not great although it throws up the odd bass in a surf. The other side of the peninsula is better but snaggy. Good spinning and float fishing. Its a few years ago but I got a rake of different species, nothing massive, there - including all three gurnards. The tiny beach behind it might be a good port in bad weather.

Hope this helps, don't forget to post a report!!!
kieran
Site Admin/Owner

Have thanks: 445 times
Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby seank » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:38 pm

You have mail bogowit :)
Target for 2017: Tope, Bass, Specimen shore pollack, Specimen Sea trout, Turbot over 30cm, common skate
seank
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 65 times

Postby seank » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:12 pm

kieran wrote:Hi Bogwoppit

Check the reports from Sean and Joe here, although they are mostly Clew Bay lads...

You have sea trout and flats in the estuaries and on the beaches near you. There used to be mullet available over low water - had them on lug before, great sporting fish but need a small hook and they give "finicky" a new meaning. The beaches near Doohoma Head near the small golf course are quite decent on a coming tide - mostly flats.

You probably need to hit northern end of Belmullet if you want something different. Plenty of good rock marks there - easiest would be the old harbour at Glenlara. Great wrasse fishing so long as the stream is not in spate. You fish from the headland above the small harbour, on the OTHER side, straight down. Crab picks out big fish. Not sure where you are living but you can buy frozen crab in the Asian markets in Dublin (sadly not stocked in Castlebar) and I know from experience that it works just fine.

Right down the far end of Belmullet, you have the flat rocks past the lighthouse. Was out over this in a boat a few months back and staggered to find a patch of sand right in the middle of it. Good depth of water too - probably be your best bet in terms of trying to get different species, but the weed will be snaggy. Big kelp beds. might be a bit far to drive, not sure what you are looking for. The beaches on the west side of Belmullet are routinely trawled and not worth wetting a line. The beaches on the east side are not and hold decent stocks of flatfish and I have seen photos from Tim O'Sullivan of absolutely massive sea trout he promised me came out of Elly Bay...

It's entirely possible but then we're not all ex-world champions. ;0)

The last place I'd recommend that fairly close is Rinroe / Rossport. The river channel at Rossport can hold mackerel at low and high water this time of year, they tend to get trapped there. It's also good for sea trout but you have to fight the otters for them! You can dig lug and especially black lug on Rinroe at low water if you get stuck for bait. The beach itself is not great although it throws up the odd bass in a surf. The other side of the peninsula is better but snaggy. Good spinning and float fishing. Its a few years ago but I got a rake of different species, nothing massive, there - including all three gurnards. The tiny beach behind it might be a good port in bad weather.

Hope this helps, don't forget to post a report!!!

Have to argue with you there kieran those Beach's on west coast of erris pennisula are the best in mayo IMO. I've the pics to prove it :)

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=49070
Target for 2017: Tope, Bass, Specimen shore pollack, Specimen Sea trout, Turbot over 30cm, common skate
seank
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 65 times

Postby joe the junior » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:22 pm

Elly bay produces both turbot and flounder , known spot for sea trout but is heavily managed by fisheries so a license is essential otherwise a hefty fine and a court date may be included with your days angling!

Sent from my F3111 using Tapatalk
Joe Chambers
2017 (35 species)

2018 species: whiting, coalie, flounder, turbot, plaice, dab, sea trout, thornback ray, dogfish, sandeel, Launce, Mackerel, Pollack , Bullhuss, corkwing wrasse, ballen wrasse, rock cook wrasse,Cuckoo wrasse, grey gunard,tub gunard,Red Gunard, weever fish, 3 bearded rockling, Five bearded rockling, ling, common blenny , rock goby, conger, Pouting,silver eel, scorpion fish, scad, poor cod, mayo bass (35 species)

2019 Flounder, Dab, Turbot, Plaice, Pollack, Coalie, Pouting, Whiting, Codling, 3 bearded rockling, Sea Trout, Dogfish, Bullhuss, black goby, rock goby, corkwing wrasse,Ballen Wrasse, cuckcoo Wrasse, Conger Eel, Shore Rockling, Long Spined Sea Scorpion, Lesser weever, common blenny, tompot blenny, bass, twaite shad, smoothhound, Dragonet, Silver Eel, Tub Gunard, Red Gunard, Gray Gunard,scad, thornback ray, poor cod
joe the junior
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 90 times
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby bogwoppit » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:28 am

Thanks for all the help guys, it looks like I'm pretty set up with plenty of options if the salmon aren't playing ball.

If I get out I'll do a report, fingers crossed I'll get something.
bogwoppit
SAI Bait Ball

Postby kieran » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:16 am

Hi Joe

Knew he was fishing for salmon so no need to warn him about the licence. In twenty years of albeit spotty fishing in Mayo, river and sea, I have yet to meet a bailff.
Must be that I am fishing in all the WRONG places! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
kieran
Site Admin/Owner

Have thanks: 445 times
Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby bogwoppit » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:56 am

The license will be in the bag alright.

I'm guessing 3 hook flappers are the way to go.

For this message the author bogwoppit has received thanks:
seank (Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:06 pm)
bogwoppit
SAI Bait Ball

Return to Shore Angling Q&A / Forum