Frozen Prawns as bait

Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:06 am

Anybody ever used frozen tiger prawns for bait and have success with em?

Thinking of giving them a go for wrasse

Re: Frozen Prawns as bait

Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:15 am

Hi Sean

Used them on An Corraun and found small pieces worked for a variety of species close in, but oddly enough not Wrasse. Caught small pollack, coalie, slugs, sculpin, poor cod and what I think was a very small pouting on it. Throw a few into a rock pool and when they float up, they have thawed fully.

Be interested to see how you get on with it...

Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:33 am

What did you fish kieran and what stage of the tide?

Wrasse are more finicky than people give em credit for. Lugworm/crab/rag all have gotten me wrasse at corraun. But only in high summer

I've a report coming soon documenting 6 days fishing. Watch this space

Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:19 pm

don't know the name of it, there's a single finger of rock sticking out with coves on either side... get the odd ray at distance.
looking at heading out Sunday afternoon - weather permitting!

Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:08 am

I used frozen prawns from a Chinese supermarket a good few times. Worked great and I ended up catching smoothies and ray with them in wicklow, not sure of the variety..but I got something like 50 for a tenner. Must pick up another pack for the freezer. I found the head of the prawns worked best whipped on to the hook.

Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:11 am

Al wrote:I used frozen prawns from a Chinese supermarket a good few times. Worked great and I ended up catching smoothies and ray with them in wicklow, not sure of the variety..but I got something like 50 for a tenner. Must pick up another pack for the freezer. I found the head of the prawns worked best whipped on to the hook.

Nice one all. They certainly sound there working for you. I'm going try em tomorrow, I got two box's of raw tigers out of lidl. See how the go :) looking forward to see how the fish for wrasse compared to fresh lug and crab

Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:07 pm

I recently tried frozen whole shell-on prawns (cooked) from Tesco while wrasse fishing. I got numerous bites but no hook-ups, they may have been small wrasse and unable to make a whole prawn. I intend to try them again with bigger hooks and a lot more elastic. I have used the frozen raw peeled prawns before and had a wide range of species on them from doggies to sea trout.